Why become a member? ×

EMG extended series pickups

neepheid

I'm gathering parts for a project and fancy a go of some EMGs. Looking at 40 housings (4" or 102mm wide) mainly because of some existing holes that need to be routed out - the body currently has 2 slanted J pickup holes about a cm apart - someone explain that one to me. They were also poorly gouged out.

Anyway, my question is which 2 should I use? There are 4 options that I'm choosing between - P5, J, DC and CS. I've narrowed it down to wanting a J near the bridge. So choice of 3 for the neck position - P5 (split coils) DC (dual coil all the way across) or CS (ceramic and steel).

Has anyone got any opinions about the sounds out of any or all of these pups? Grateful for any opinions offered.

Yes, yes I have. you may be able to do a search for EMG on here as I remember doing a long post or 5 about the sounds of the EMG extended range!

Putting the J in the bridge position is a popular choice, as is putting the P in the neck position. I have 2 EMG loaded basses, one that has both DCs and one that has both P's.

P style is as you'd expect, a P clone. It is said to have the most bottom end out of the EMG pups and I am inclined to agree.
The DC pups are more raspy, lending a more aggressive tone (yet very clean) that is more akin to the musicman bass tone.
CS style has a simi;ar tone to the DCs, with the top end rasp, but are a little softer and can be a bit warmer on certain basses.

All of the extended range pups are powerful and very clean sounding.. but not sterile. I particularly like EMG pups and must admit I am winging it a bit with my next bass, as it will be the first without EMGs.. lets hope I havent made a bad choice lol!!

to get an idea of sounds, I refer you to my very good friend, Mr Jon Shuker and his 'sounds' page on his website. You'll be able to hear what the differnt EMGs can sound like. The top bass, with Delanos in, sounds most like my Shuker with EMG DCs in.... [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/sound.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/sound.htm[/url]