Why become a member? ×

U Retro 5 knob deluxe

niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1031804' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:22 PM']I'm thinking of changing the preamp in my Shuker to a John East U Retro five knob deluxe. Anybody have any good / bad things to say about them before I blow my wad?[/quote]

Al, I've got a J Retro De-Luxe in my Bacchus. As it's on a Jazz Plate, it's only a 4 knobber, so not sure what the difference is.
It actually started off as a standard J-Retro, but I modded it with John's help. I think the controls are pretty similar.
Love it.
I took the Bart pre-amp out and the East is way, way better.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1031804' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:22 PM']I'm thinking of changing the preamp in my Shuker to a John East U Retro five knob deluxe. Anybody have any good / bad things to say about them before I blow my wad?[/quote]

Only from a practical point of view - plan ahead and make sure there's enough room for the new board and controls before you start.

I fitted a replacement board into one of my basses quite a few years ago, got annoyed because I couldn't get it all to fit into the body cavity and didn't pay attention whilst using a router.

I still have a decorative scroll edge and zero sensation on one of my fingers...

I have East J Retro 01 deluxes on 2 basses.

Really useful in the mix and I like the passive element more and more so like to have that control and flexibility.
Of course, the bass needs to sound nice passive.

A big fan of them and the tone shaping/enhancment might be too much but the scope is there.