Why become a member? ×

MIJ '62 RI Jazz

Sparky

Greetings All,

I bought my Jazz Bass new in 1996 and for years have felt that the output lacked presence. Recently, my suspicions have been confirmed by my purchase of a new P bass and the awesome sound it puts out. I guess the problem may be to do with the pickups, but before I go splashing out on new hardware, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest any alternative causes of low/poor/weak output from this type of bass and methods for testing.

If the most likely cause [i]is[/i] that the pickups are the problem, can anyone suggest some good replacement models that I could fit easily (I have hardly Any technical knowledge of my bass and its workings) and some rough costs.

Cheers peeps.

Sparky :)

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if the machine head screw positions are standard on this? If I buy a set of Gotoh Machine heads like [url="http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Gotoh_Machine_Heads_for_Bass_Guitar.html"]this[/url] (the GB-4N's), how likely is it they'll fit without having to re-drill? My e-string tuner is loose (the peg moves before it turns the cog - pretty sure it's not something that I can fix by tightening screws).

Edited by Sparky

[quote name='Hamster' post='117926' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:59 PM']When you play through the Jazz with the volume control at max, does the signal weaken or vanish for either pickup when you turn down the tone control ?

Hamster[/quote]
Woah, there's a question. I'll test it when I get home and let you know. Sounds like a leading question - finger's crossed!

Sorry to de-rail, but a quick question, if this happens:

[quote name='Hamster' post='117926' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:59 PM']When you play through the Jazz with the volume control at max, does the signal weaken or vanish for either pickup when you turn down the tone control ?

Hamster[/quote]

What does it mean and how can i fix it?

/end de-rail

:)

[quote name='WarPig' post='117933' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:07 PM']Sorry to de-rail, but a quick question, if this happens:

What does it mean and how can i fix it?

/end de-rail

:)[/quote]

It's just a first step (and one way) to track down the problem. If there's a short on one of the pickup windings you might still get some output but it'll be very weak with no depth/bass. If you roll off the treble and the output really drops to nil or barely audible then that's an indication of the internal short.

Hamster

Hi Hampster, tested the bass - nope, the signal from the pickups is not affected by the tone control. Tested both pickups seperately and together at max volume and there is no drop in strength. Crackles a wee bit when turning the controls, but that's normal isn't it? Cheers, Sparky.

[quote name='Hamster' post='118250' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:27 PM']Ok. How are you with a crosshead screwdriver, a soldering iron and a multimeter?

Hamster[/quote]
Oh Dear! I'm 'average to good' with a screwdriver, 'school-years novice' with a soldering iron and I don't even know what a multimeter is!!! (but I rekon I could get hold of the equipment if i needed it)
Was thinking though - when I tested the J last night, I plugged in my P straight after and the volume was actually Less - so maybe the signal isn't as weak as I thought but like I said in the original post - it just lacks 'presence'. not sure how to describe it - the volume's there but it seems to lack 'body'... not refering to the tone either - i realise the P and the J will of course sound different but I've played a newer Jazz, and in comparisson, mine sounded notably 'dull'. as if the sound's coming from next-door.. compared to the P which sounds like it's in the same room - like it should!
Thanks for your time Hampster