Why become a member? ×

Now Traded - no longer for sale

Stompbox

[attachment=64550:Double_Bass_001.jpg][attachment=64551:Double_Bass_005.jpg][attachment=64552:Double
_Bass_002.jpg][attachment=64559:Double_Bass_007.jpg][attachment=64557:Double_Bass_011.jpg]

Well here’s my Stentor ¾ double bass for sale – it has a solid carved spruce top and laminated back & sides - the fingerboard is an "ebonised" stained/painted on finish – not ebony.

I’ve agonised about selling this but I really don’t use it enough to warrant keeping it plus it’s a large item to have standing about in the house (and I’ll use the money to try an upright electric instead!)

I got the bass about a year or so ago for about £600, and I had various jobs done to it & extras fitted, so I think it is a really nice playable instrument.

I got the nut re-cut to reduce the height of it to make the bass easier to play in the first position and to improve the string spacing, and had a new adjustable bridge fitted.

The next thing was to get the strings changed to a really good set – these are Innovation 90140 Ultra Black nylon flatwounds – they have a big, mellow sound.

Last I got a piezo pickup – it’s a SixRounds “Double Barrel” one from the States & the two transducers fit into the bridge slots. The output socket is mounted in a rubber lined aluminium holder that grips on to the strings below the bridge.

The work & the extras cost about another £250 (Bridge £35, Strings £75, Pickup £50, plus labour charges), so I reckon that £600 would be a fair price. It comes with a nice big padded Stentor gig bag, a decent bow, the original flatwound steel strings, rosin and I’ll throw in a clip on digital tuner.

The bass is in good condition – there are a couple of small marks on the front which I have tried to show in the pictures and a little wear around the edges.

I’m up here in sunny Morecambe, near Lancaster - cash on collection please, or I could deliver it within reason by arrangement. You’re welcome to come up & have a play on it.

Edited by Stompbox

I'll see what I can do in the way of recording the bass.

Once I've done a recording & MP3'd it (I'll record onto a minidisc player & upload it onto my PC Music library) - what then????

How do I post it to this site - or do I have to email it as an attachment to whoever wants a copy??

:)

[quote name='Stompbox' post='1040682' date='Nov 29 2010, 01:23 AM']I'll see what I can do in the way of recording the bass.

Once I've done a recording & MP3'd it (I'll record onto a minidisc player & upload it onto my PC Music library) - what then????

How do I post it to this site - or do I have to email it as an attachment to whoever wants a copy??

:)[/quote]

Hey, don't break your back over it mate...if any mp3's were handy is all I meant :)

To upload just reply to a thread, click browse, locate file, click upload! Then you'll be able to manage the upload and enter it into a reply :lol:

Oh - OK - I don't have any recordings at the mo.

I'll see if I can find the mini disc recorder & charge its internal battery up - I've got a small mixing desk somewhere to hook up to the recorder.

If I can find all the bits & leads I might have a go.

I'll put it on my "list of things to do"................................. (that's nearly as good as having done it, but not quite).

:)

[quote name='Stompbox' post='1047632' date='Dec 4 2010, 06:28 PM'][attachment=65708:rec1204_173012.mp3][attachment=65710:rec1204_173050.mp3]

Well now - after trying several free downloads of software & a bit of experimentation, you can now hear the bass ( & my c**p playing!).

:)[/quote]

Just the job! The recording sounds fine too, very clear! I like the tone of the bass. If I could shift my bass I'd have your Stentor :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello TPJ,

Thanks for the enquiry - I find the tension OK - not too tight & they feel good under the fingers.

Much better than the steel/ tape wounds that were on it.

They have a good "deep" feel to the tone - they do play OK with the bow, but I'm a pizz player myself......

All the best,

Stompbox :)