Why become a member? ×

Damn you Superfly!

barneyg42

Got a Superfly on here a few months ago and despite some of the press it's been getting it's been mega reliable............until last night! I've just got my speakers upgraded and at the last couple of gigs the rig has really kicked ass but last night I set up as normal and when I switched on there was a dreadful crackling noise coming out, a bit like bad static but with added crackling. Now it's been in the boot of my car for a while so first thought was maybe it was damp, not a good combination. Luckily I had a spare amp with me although I could only drive one speaker as the ohmage was wrong for two. I'm just at the point where I was going to get a power amp and run the little bugger as a pre-amp as I love the sounds that it makes. I'm sort of guessing maybe a dry joint, I hope it's nothing too drastic as the plastic has taken a hammering getting my speakers sorted out. Just when I get things nearly sorted and bang, another problem! I'll get it looked at tomorrow probably, I was supposed to be trying it out with the power amp with the guy that upgraded my Acme and supplied my 1x15 but now I guess he has a repair job to do, but if any one has any suggestions (other that the usual dump it/burn it comments) let me know!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1031136' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:09 AM']Got a Superfly on here a few months ago and despite some of the press it's been getting it's been mega reliable............until last night! I've just got my speakers upgraded and at the last couple of gigs the rig has really kicked ass but last night I set up as normal and when I switched on there was a dreadful crackling noise coming out, a bit like bad static but with added crackling. Now it's been in the boot of my car for a while so first thought was maybe it was damp, not a good combination. Luckily I had a spare amp with me although I could only drive one speaker as the ohmage was wrong for two. I'm just at the point where I was going to get a power amp and run the little bugger as a pre-amp as I love the sounds that it makes. I'm sort of guessing maybe a dry joint, I hope it's nothing too drastic as the plastic has taken a hammering getting my speakers sorted out. Just when I get things nearly sorted and bang, another problem! I'll get it looked at tomorrow probably, I was supposed to be trying it out with the power amp with the guy that upgraded my Acme and supplied my 1x15 but now I guess he has a repair job to do, but if any one has any suggestions (other that the usual dump it/burn it comments) let me know![/quote]

Few things you could try:

1) Substitute your amp<>speaker lead with another one.
2) Using your spare amp, try both speakers out and check it's not a poor connection in the speaker cabs.
3) Re-create the crackling noise setup (keep the volume down to a sensible level though!) and then try tapping along the front of the amp with the rubber end of a pair of pliers (something heavy but rubberised to prevent marking) - if you find a point where the crackling gets worse or better, then thats where your dry joint is.
If you can discover where the dry joint is then you have the option of repairing it yourself for zero cost or getting someone else to do it and reducing the costs as you've already done the donkey work for them!
4) Try rotating the controls and perhaps give them a little "wiggle" up and down and side to side- the dry joint might reveal itself that way (then follow the latter part of item 3).

Hope that might help - and I didn't even mention setting fire to it... I'll leave that to my more professional pyromanic colleagues... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1031146' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:39 AM']Few things you could try:

1) Substitute your amp<>speaker lead with another one.
2) Using your spare amp, try both speakers out and check it's not a poor connection in the speaker cabs.
3) Re-create the crackling noise setup (keep the volume down to a sensible level though!) and then try tapping along the front of the amp with the rubber end of a pair of pliers (something heavy but rubberised to prevent marking) - if you find a point where the crackling gets worse or better, then thats where your dry joint is.
If you can discover where the dry joint is then you have the option of repairing it yourself for zero cost or getting someone else to do it and reducing the costs as you've already done the donkey work for them!
4) Try rotating the controls and perhaps give them a little "wiggle" up and down and side to side- the dry joint might reveal itself that way (then follow the latter part of item 3).

Hope that might help - and I didn't even mention setting fire to it... I'll leave that to my more professional pyromanic colleagues... :)[/quote]

1)Did this
2)Again did this and no problem with either speaker or leads
3)Will try this today, the crackling is constant and gets louder as you turn volume up, BTW bass wasn't plugged in and effects pedals were taken out of the loop too.
4)Again will try today, not my idea of a laid back sunday but as you say if I can do some of the groundwork it may save me a few bob!

Cheers
Colin

And all is great with the world again! Plugged into my Pandora via the line out and into my stereo and noise remained, took outer cover off and gave it the tap and jiggle test and still the same, plugged bass in and had a widdle and gradually it went away. Now starts and runs without a noise so I'm guessing it got damp and cold in my car, it was left in there last night too. As I said to MB1 in PM I'll sleep with it under my pillow from now on :)
The spare amp will be with me at all times though!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1031344' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:59 PM']And all is great with the world again! Plugged into my Pandora via the line out and into my stereo and noise remained, took outer cover off and gave it the tap and jiggle test and still the same, plugged bass in and had a widdle and gradually it went away. Now starts and runs without a noise so I'm guessing it got damp and cold in my car, it was left in there last night too. As I said to MB1 in PM I'll sleep with it under my pillow from now on :)
The spare amp will be with me at all times though![/quote]

I'd be pretty wary about relying on it too - could be a dry joint but other components can exhibit noise problems that fade as the thing warms up.

I wouldn't leave gear in the car at this time of year - cars tend to be very damp. Also, if you take a very cold amp into a warm sweaty pub it will attract a fair bit of condensation.

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1031344' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:59 PM']And all is great with the world again! Plugged into my Pandora via the line out and into my stereo and noise remained, took outer cover off and gave it the tap and jiggle test and still the same, plugged bass in and had a widdle and gradually it went away. Now starts and runs without a noise so I'm guessing it got damp and cold in my car, it was left in there last night too. As I said to MB1 in PM I'll sleep with it under my pillow from now on :)

Excellent news :)

If you're feeling daring, it would probably be worth taking the cover off and just having a look at that input socket to see that it's clean, suitably springy against your jack plug and dry joint free...

I'd leave the outer covers off, all they do is add weight and make the amp overheat (and look fugly).

Maybe take the amp to someone reputable for a check over? My Superfly used to cut out and came back on when i took the lead out and inserted it again, fortunately i bought it new and this was in the first week of having it so it was repaired

When all amps get gremlins it's hard to trust them again, moreso with Superflys because of all the bad press. Mine has been fine for ages but i still wouldn't totally trust it