Why become a member? ×

New bass, or a project?

Prime_BASS

Well after the bass bash today, it safe to say my gas for a 5 string is gone. Don't know what it is but my mind turns to goop with an extra string. Btw thanks to those that let me and my grubby mits touch their expensive stuff.

I'm toying with idea of either buying another ray or doing another project bass.

If it was a project bass specs would follow:

Ash jazz body, White.
Delano J single coils (the ones with the MM style magnets)
Some kind of 3 band preamp
Status graphite neck.

The necks the tricky part. I don't want a jazz, too small; and the P style necks I just don't along with.
The ray version is what I want, and by the website the ray style neck should fit the neck pocket of a standard fender body, but it also says some gibberish about intonation.

Anyway, my theory is the ray status neck would be fine on a a blank jazz body but I shouldn't drill the bridge down in the usual place. If that's right, where? Could I just take a measurement on my ray?

Thanks guys.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1031055' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:24 AM']Well after the bass bash today, it safe to say my gas for a 5 string is gone. Don't know what it is but my mind turns to goop with an extra string. Btw thanks to those that let me and my grubby mits touch their expensive stuff.

I'm toying with idea of either buying another ray or doing another project bass.

If it was a project bass specs would follow:

Ash jazz body, White.
Delano J single coils (the ones with the MM style magnets)
Some kind of 3 band preamp
Status graphite neck.

The necks the tricky part. I don't want a jazz, too small; and the P style necks I just don't along with.
The ray version is what I want, and by the website the ray style neck should fit the neck pocket of a standard fender body, but it also says some gibberish about intonation.

Anyway, my theory is the ray status neck would be fine on a a blank jazz body but I shouldn't drill the bridge down in the usual place. If that's right, where? Could I just take a measurement on my ray?

Thanks guys.[/quote]

Easy rule for correct intonation:

The distance from the nut to the 12th fret must be equal to the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge.
Is easys yes? :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1031055' date='Nov 20 2010, 04:24 PM']The necks the tricky part. I don't want a jazz, too small; and the P style necks I just don't along with.

Thanks guys.[/quote]
The Stingray neck has 21 frets versus 20 on the Fender neck. This makes it roughly 14mm longer. The best way to install it would be to cut the neck pocket longer at which time you could shape it to the MM neck. If you used the normal Fender slot you'd have to move the bridge towards the neck about 14 mm and that will change the tone of the bass as if you've moved the pickups 14mm towards the bridge. It would also be more likely to have neck dive and look kind of silly. I would cut a new neck pocket to the MM shape and use the original bridge position.

I just don't think I'm quite ready for anything with more than 4, although I did six years of spanking the tiny 6 string, I can't transfer that to bass for some reason.

Not much is tickling me at the moment other than something to do with wood and tronics, but I can't can't justify that.

Thanks for the info guys, I totally forgot about the "rule" of the twelve fret being equal distance from the nut and the bridge.

Im not to fussed about the extra closeness it'll cause, I can find a body designed for 60s spacing and with the bridge closer it would give it 70s spacing bridge pickup sound, in theory I guess.

I guess now I just have to find the right body and decide on the right preamp.