Why become a member? ×

Tuners

Randy_Marsh

Hello,

I'm going to be buying either the TC electronics Polytune or the Korg Pitchblack and I'm unsure as which one to choose.

They both look great and seem like great tuners but I want to know which one you guys would choose and why really? Any pitfalls with either one or is it a clear choice etc.

I would like a Peterson or Korg Rackmount tuner, but i don't have the money really so it is really these two or is there a good alternative that i'm missing out on?

Never tried the Polytune so I can't compare, but I've been using the Pitchblack for teh past couple of years and I *love* that tuner.
The only downside is that if you play often outdoors in bright daylight... the display may not be bright enough. I had *once* a situation where I struggled to see the display. But indoors even in teh brightest stage it's always been great. I like how it has several display modes so you can choose which one seems betetr for you. I think it's mode 3 for me, can't recall.
I'd get another Pitchblack in a heartbeat if I lost mine.

[quote]The only downside is that if you play often outdoors in bright daylight... the display may not be bright enough[/quote]

The Polytune actually has a feature where it adapts to specific lighting so you can always see it. However the PitchBlack just looks so much easier to use for different tunings etc (not that i really ever use anything but standard haha)

I've no experience with the pitchblack, but the polytune is great - very easy to read the display and accurate. It's ability to tune all strings at once doesn't work as well as I'd like - it's perhaps more a gimmick than a real feature. But as a standard one-string tuner it works brilliantly. It copes with downtuning (as far as B, I think), but the polytune feature then only works if you still tune in 4ths (so DGCF is ok, but drop D isn't).

[quote](so DGCF is ok, but drop D isn't).[/quote]

Weird that with Drop D being a fairly regularly used tuning. I was in a bad that used CGCF so it wouldn't work with that either :/

Looking like i might get the pitchblack as it seems to do exactly what a tuner should do, without throwing in some gimmicks. Still a toughy though....

Pitchblack is fine, i've ditched a Boss TU-2 for mine, and i'm really happy.

I think the Polytune is great for guitarists, but the 'poly' bit is pretty uneccessary for bassists.

I tested them side by side, and found the Pitchblack to be less twitchy than the TC, meaning I could tune quicker.

Just thought i'd pass my 2p as i'd had the same debate recently.