Why become a member? ×

warped pickguard

steve

The Fender Musicmaster I have just acquired has a warped pickguard, which I'd like to try and straighten out.

I've read in various places about putting them in an oven, or very hot water to soften and warm them, and then leaving them under a heavy book. Has anybody tried any of these, or has any alternative surefire suggestions?

thanks

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='117651' date='Jan 10 2008, 09:53 AM']the hot water thing did nothing for mine[/quote]

john, was it straight out of the kettle?

can you give me more info of what happened when you snapped yours?

cheers

I'd suggest using NEW virgin brown paper shiny side to the PG and an iron as you can control the temperature.

DO NOT RUSH. start farily warm and if that doesnt lossnme it up try a bit warmer. dont touch it whe its warm as you may leave finger prints in teh surface.... (naff!)

PM me for advice if you need to.... I kinda used to do this stuff for a living....

yes straight out of the kettle. the other problem was that my sink/washing up bowl wasn't quite big enough and i couldn't quite fit it all in.
when i snapped mine, i was being a big, clumsy, fat fingered idiot.

i snapped the bit that's closest to the last screw on the top horn or a precision, the really thin bit next to the cut out for the neck. it was my own fault and i was just applying a bit [i]too[/i] much pressure to it to see if it was soft and it turned out not to be - ping.

up until that point the tea towel/hot iron/two bits of board/stand on it for 5 minutes/check and try again, was working really well. i had two offcuts of an ikea shelf that i'd shortened to fit into a gap in the house and they were ideal.
I was sure i'd started a thread on it which had some useful advice, but i can't find it.

So I gave it a fair old go, and left it weighted down under a book with my practice amp on top, and it isn't dead flat, but it is a lot better. It might flatten out more if I continued with the process, but I want to get on and get playing with it so that'll be it, at least for the time being.

Thanks for all the advice.