Why become a member? ×

Digitech Jamman differences

Finbar

Right, I'm looking at getting something for loading some audio samples into for gigs, to play before/between songs etc. Sending it straight to the PA - I'm sure you know the kind of thing.

Was looking at the Digitech Jamman, and then getting that external footswitch to select between samples easily, but then I noticed the Jamman JML2. I'm not too bothered about the stereo thing - we'll probably just use it to send mono signals anyway. But am I right in thinking that the JML2 does away with the need for the external footswitch? Those two extra switches look to do the same patch up/down job that the footswitch did, and I don't think we'll need to change the mode of operation so that third switch looks kinda useless.

And just to check, the Jamman can be told to just play a sample once, right? Without looping it?

Cheers!

[quote name='Finbar' post='1026246' date='Nov 16 2010, 07:22 PM']Right, I'm looking at getting something for loading some audio samples into for gigs, to play before/between songs etc. Sending it straight to the PA - I'm sure you know the kind of thing.

Was looking at the Digitech Jamman, and then getting that external footswitch to select between samples easily, but then I noticed the Jamman JML2. I'm not too bothered about the stereo thing - we'll probably just use it to send mono signals anyway. But am I right in thinking that the JML2 does away with the need for the external footswitch? Those two extra switches look to do the same patch up/down job that the footswitch did, and I don't think we'll need to change the mode of operation so that third switch looks kinda useless.

And just to check, the Jamman can be told to just play a sample once, right? Without looping it?

Cheers![/quote]

Hey mate! I have said pedal. Yup you are right. There is actually a comparison PDF file on the Digitech website, but what you have said is correct. One interesting little thing - and maybe a bit naughty, Digitech - is that it ISN'T stereo!!! (I knew that before I purchased). It has stereo ins and outs (which are pass through sockets) - but there is only a MONO looper which mixes the left and right together, then sends it's output back to the stereo outputs!

To be honest, from what you are describing, it sounds a bit overkill, if it's only for playing audio samples to PA. How about just an MP3 player, or - an old band of mine used to use a Minidisc Player. - One with an infrared remote control - so it could sit off stage and a band member could hit the number of the next track to play. (Mine has a function that makes it pause after every track!)

It is a little bit overkill, but we want something rugged and fairly idiotproof, without having to worry about batteries going etc. If we can stick it on one of our pedalboard, even better really. We also may end up using it to trigger things like sub drops during songs and stuff, where we won't have any free hands to trigger things that way.

Thanks for answering the question though :) I'll go check that PDF out, and start scouring eBay for one of the JML2s I think! :)