Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

I still don't really need to read, I don't really need to play at all I guess as I'm only a hobby player like a lot of us on bass chat, shame there's not more hours in the day to do everything we would like to do.

I can't see any mojo being lost because you can read, maybe a bit while your reading but unless your sight reading you can put your own mojo back in after you have learnt the piece.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342339837' post='1733300']

I can't see any mojo being lost because you can read, maybe a bit while your reading but unless your sight reading you can put your own mojo back in after you have learnt the piece.
[/quote]
No I can read music, I meant that I fear some mojo would be lost if I started thinking about the notes I'm playing, intervals, key signatures and scales, all that, while playing. At the moment I play purely instinctively. Obviously the classical training I had in my youth is there in the background somewhere but I wonder if I never, ever think of so much as a note name during my normal playing.

I used to think like that and declared it quite clearly then I changed my mind and decided It was something I would like to do as did a few others and this thread was born, If you can already read but play instictively you are all the proof we need that it need not be the case to lose any natural feel if you can read when your not :)