Why become a member? ×

New to Basschat

RAM

Hi all,

Glad to be here.

A little about me: I've been playing bass since summer, 1983. My first bass hero was John Entwistle, second was Geddy Lee, and I've since branched out to many, many players, finding something interesting in almost any non-country bassist I hear on the radio.

My current gear includes 2 basses: US Spector NS-4 and a Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI; amp: Avalon VT-737sp, powered by a Stewart World 2.1, into an Epifani 4-10 UL; I have 2 effects pedals (both Fulltone) BassDrive and ChoralFlange; and misc. gear includes an x2digitalwireless stomp box, a Peterson Strobostomp II, and a Shure PSM-200 IEM wireless system.

My band plays only covers, mainly older stuff, ranging from The Who to Ben Harper (okay...not so old). We have fun and don't expect to make a living at this; we call it our "poker night". It's actually a nice position to be in, in that we can dictate what we play, how we play it, and don't have to worry about "creative differences", which has broken up more than a couple of bands I've previously been in.

Hopefully I'll make a couple of friends around here, learn a few things, and maybe have something to say that someone will learn from; I sometimes have a bad habit of digging my heels in and arguing, but I do it only in good fun. I don't take myself too seriously.

Anyway, as I began this post, glad to be here!

Cheers! RAM

Hi Ram and welcome to the forum.

I love Chicago and have visited relatives their several times. We came over last year to my cousins wedding who runs Trinity Irish Dance Company which you may have heard of. They have some brilliant musicians playing for them. I was so inspired I bought a tin whistle when I got back to try to learn but not had much success yet.

Enjoy the forum, it has helped lots me since I recently joined.

Regards

Tony

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes! For those coming to Chicago, please let me know...I'd love to get together and have a beer and/or see some genuine Chicago blues! And, the blues clubs here are all non-smoking now, so your clothes won't stink after a couple of beers!

Thebigbeefchief: I can't wait to engage in some fun arguments! Please don't take me too seriously, as I have a tendency to be right a lot! :) I'll start with letting you know I'm a seafood-eating vegetarian (though some claim this isn't true vegetarianism). I'm mentioning this because of your username...sounds kinda beefy!

paul, the: I may have exceptional taste, but I prefer to think of it as having no taste but lots of snob appeal! I've been around long enough to have tried and owned quite a few pieces of gear, none of which I can justify. But, in working through a very long, painful divorce, among other things, I feel I've had to go out and treat myself to some things rather than pay for my attorneys! We all make choices, no? I just happen to make the wrong ones. :huh:

My next acquisition will hopefully be a Status 4-string. I've wanted one for over a decade and my wife was always nagging me about spending too much on gear: you should have heard some of the fights we had when I bought my Jerzy! The funny thing about that was, I had the money for my Jerzy in a separate account prior to meeting her, and had told her as soon as I finished grad school that I was buying one. That's what I did. Now that she can't nag me anymore about my purchases, my divorce present to myself will be a Status! Since I'm not yet divorced, I'm still kicking tires, trying to figure out which model I'll get, and occasionally I look at the classifieds in case a great deal comes up. If I find one, I might not be able to wait until my divorce is settled.

Anyway, thanks to all for your warm welcomes! It's great to feel at home from day 1!

RAM