Why become a member? ×

An acoustic for Christmas?.....

Gazza 2905

Hello everyone,

this is my first question on the forum, - so be gentle with me please!

My girlfriend asked me the other day: "What would you like for Christmas?"
And my immediate reply was: "Another Bass, please!" :D

Now, I've been playing for about a year so far, having decided to try & master the bass, as best I can, after several previous failed attempts! :)
And I thought that an acoustic bass might offer me something different, & would be a worthwhile addition to my growing collection! :lol:

However, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, as there is no pickup to rest your right thumb on when playing, do you have to make any changes to the way you play?
And secondly, the few acoustic basses that I have seen so far seem to have a 32" scale length, is this the case with all acoustics? as I am used to a 35" scale length.

I play only for fun, so no intention of gigging etc.. but I would welcome any general advice that anyone could give me on this matter.
So if anyone out there has an acoustic bass they love to play, please tell me what I'm missing out on.
After all, if she buys me one, & it ends up sat in the corner gathering dust, - I'll never hear the last of it! :)

Many thanks,

Gary.

If you say you want something different then go for a fretless acoustic - that should get the creative juices flowing! You'll soon find somewhere to anchor your thumb. Personally never really noticed a problem with the shorter scal length, just noticed that the Crafter I used to play is only 32".

Mike

[quote name='Gazza 2905' post='1019309' date='Nov 10 2010, 08:23 PM']Hello everyone,

this is my first question on the forum, - so be gentle with me please!

My girlfriend asked me the other day: "What would you like for Christmas?"
And my immediate reply was: "Another Bass, please!" :D

Now, I've been playing for about a year so far, having decided to try & master the bass, as best I can, after several previous failed attempts! :)
And I thought that an acoustic bass might offer me something different, & would be a worthwhile addition to my growing collection! :lol:

However, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, as there is no pickup to rest your right thumb on when playing, do you have to make any changes to the way you play?
And secondly, the few acoustic basses that I have seen so far seem to have a 32" scale length, is this the case with all acoustics? as I am used to a 35" scale length.

I play only for fun, so no intention of gigging etc.. but I would welcome any general advice that anyone could give me on this matter.
So if anyone out there has an acoustic bass they love to play, please tell me what I'm missing out on.
After all, if she buys me one, & it ends up sat in the corner gathering dust, - I'll never hear the last of it! :)

Many thanks,

Gary.[/quote]
Hi Gary,

Your thumb shouldn't be a problem.
You can either rest it on the E string (when you're not using it of course!) or rely on the greater depth of the acoustic bass to provide an elbow rest and leave your thumb floating in mid air!
Whatever comfortable and workable solution you find will become second nature (I had to go and pick a bass up to work out what I do because I never think about it).
I haven't really looked closely, but I kinda think that thumbrests have been left off of many basses over recent years - certainly I have 5 basses here from 5 different manufacturers and none of them has a thumbrest!

The 32" scale length "standard" is there for several reasons.
Being an acoustic instrument it means that there is a finite limitation to the physical strength available - too much string tension and the neck will fold or the bridge\saddle assembly rip away from the soundboard.
The longer the neck the more tension that is required to bring the strings up to concert pitch.
Scale length also affects the overal tone of the instrument.

While I guess it is theoretically possible for a manufacturer to make a longer scale instrument, the weight would increase, the tone would change, a complete redesign of the manufacturing plant would be needed and that cost would be passed onto the consumer.

Playing an acoustic bass is different to playing a solid body bass in exactly the same way that playing an electric guitar is different to playing an acoustic guitar.
The notes are all in the same place, the strings are tuned the same and the basic techniques are the same, but some things work better than others.
The best thing you could do is go and try one on for size - I know bassists who have really taken to them and enjoy using them and others who just don't get on with them at all.

HTH

Ian

[quote name='Gazza 2905' post='1019309' date='Nov 10 2010, 08:23 PM'].....Firstly, as there is no pickup to rest your right thumb on when playing, do you have to make any changes to the way you play? ....[/quote]

You could always get [url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=23256&cl=EN"]one that has a finger/thumb rest:[/url]

And +1 to the fretless suggestion - I love my fretless ABG.

They are very handy for working something out that you just heard on the radio or just noodling while waiting for a taxi or something which is all time in your hands as many people swear by as being almost as important as sitting down to practice or learn something in particular. Dont go too cheap IMO they can be unplayable for even a seasoned pro. Look secondhand instead at the lower price bracket maybe even here on basschat?

Where are you based Gazza?

I have an acoustic bass for sale at the moment, you're more than welcome to come and try it....I'm in Berkhamsted, just off M25 J20

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=108878&st=0&p=1007530&#entry1007530"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1007530[/url]

Dave