Why become a member? ×

MXR 80DI

MoonBassAlpha

Hi Folks
I bought this for the distortion and d.i. functions and never played about with the tone controls.

The other day, I was using it with my Legend 5er and found I really liked the preset colour shape, with the rest of it flat, and it has now become my default fretted bass sound.

But I'm a curious fellow.
I'd like to know just what frequencies are being boosted and cut. I've tried (admittedly, not very hard!) getting the same sound with a Shuttle's eq and not quite nailed it.
If someone has a decent graphic and the MXR, and can emulate the sound, I'd be really interested to know what's going on.
I don't think it's as scooped as the Trace mid-shape, but since the Trace was sold I've no way of comparing.
Any light you could shed on this would be most welcome!
Cheers
Jules (MBA)

[quote name='Badass' post='1016338' date='Nov 8 2010, 01:38 PM']I was given this a years or so ago. Hope it helps.
[attachment=63349:m80_clean_color.jpg][/quote]
That's great, cheers. Pretty much a notch at 800Hz.
Hmm, I doubt the Genz' mid Q is that sharp. I'll give it a go though.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1016357' date='Nov 8 2010, 01:53 PM']That's great, cheers. Pretty much a notch at 800Hz.
Hmm, I doubt the Genz' mid Q is that sharp. I'll give it a go though.[/quote]

I recall posting the frequency centres a while back with the amount of cut and boost in dB - but you'd get a pretty good idea from the plot above anyway. IIRC there was a boost at 80Hz, a notch (as seen) at 800hz. I can't remember what the third was though. It looks like a wide boost around 3K though!