Why become a member? ×

'51 P bass; re-listed at lower price

Clarky

I bought this only a few weeks ago from Grand Wazoo who keeps his basses in minty condition. I got it thinking it might be useful in my retro band Rattlin Bone in which I play DB. In the event, although it was useful for our first rehearsal (when I had just suffered a broken hand and couldn't use the DB) I am recovering and I cannot really see me using it (I will be using DB only for Rattlin Bone from now on and I have my Fender Pino for rocking out). Plus I am thinking of upgrading my EUB from an Aria to an Eminence and so the cash would be useful!

Its a 2009 (I think) 2TS Crafted in Japan '51 Precision reissue (this range has been discontinued), which GW modded by adding a custom Jason Lollar pickup (higher output than the stock 51P pickup). I paid £450 for it, and have since modded it by adding Fender chrome covers (around £25), an ebony finger rest (£9), chunky LaBella black nylon flatwound strings (50-110 IIRC; £25). I have also bought an electrosocket jack socket replacement (£12) which I haven't got around to installing as my still-healing left hand has precluded using a soldering iron (50s Ps and Telecasters have a habit of losing the jack socket and this is the standard replacement and does not interfere with the looks at all). All-in its cost me just over £520. It weighs 9.8 pounds so its certainly not a lightweight but it hardly qualifies as a heavyweight (my Alembic weighs 11 pounds by comparison). Comes in a padded Fender gig bag.

Please note: that I slightly damaged the finish on this bass when I removed the covers for a potential buyer (see fifth post below with picture) as the screws coming out flaked some of the varnish :) . For this reason I have cut the asking price to £460 (from £499) posted 48-hour service or £450 (was £490) collected (from central London).

[attachment=63148:DSCF2201.JPG][attachment=63149:DSCF2202.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

I imagine that this would be an absolute beast of a bass. my second Warmoth bass had a Lollar and they are absolutely amazing.

This is a great price as well. I sold my 2 tone one for £420 with no modifications plus they're not making them anymore so be prepared to see the price of these get very silly over the next couple of years

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1014956' date='Nov 7 2010, 02:26 AM']I imagine that this would be an absolute beast of a bass. my second Warmoth bass had a Lollar and they are absolutely amazing.

This is a great price as well. I sold my 2 tone one for £420 with no modifications plus they're not making them anymore so be prepared to see the price of these get very silly over the next couple of years[/quote]
Thanks DH! The Lollar is not the stock 51 replacement, it was custom ordered by Grand Wazoo to be overwound for more beef / output. it still has that beautiful woody 51P tone though.

Edited by Clarky

I have withdrawn this from sale as, having been asked to check the screw holes under the covers, I managed to flake the varnish around these as I removed the screws. It's a little unsightly (see picture below) and I can hardly describe this as "near mint" in any conscience. That will teach me to get a luthier to do work on a bass rather than use my clumsy hands :)

Never mind, it's a lovely bass to play and sounds fabulous, so I will just hang on to it. I will though put the covers back on (so my clumsiness will be entirely hidden). Apologies to Donnyboy who had been interested in the bass, I owe you a pint.

[attachment=63415:DSCF2214.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

As I have just picked up a fretless on BC, I need some funds and so am re-listing this at the reduced price of £460 posted, £450 collected to reflect the slight surface damage I inadvertently caused yesterday :) (Fender would charge you for that and call it Road Worn!)

Edited by Clarky