Why become a member? ×

need some help with customs duty

chrisd24

I believe it's £18 for a Commercial item and £40 for a Gift. No joke.
See HMRC's page: [url="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_000014#P22_2021"]HERE[/url]

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1013704' date='Nov 5 2010, 08:06 PM']Does anyone know the maximum amount you can get away with not paying duty on importing something from the states?[/quote]
Unless the sender is willing to undervalue the item....you are gonna be paying on anything over £18....got a 66 mosrite today devalued to $300 duty was £44

I thought that was the sort of amount, my mate got about 70 quids worth of strings from the states and didnt pay a penny, think he was lucky and slipped through the net!

and tried the "can you send as a gift please" but the item i was after buying was being sold by someone taking the moral high ground!

In the past I have organized a courier to pick up, this way you decide the value and the declaration type, (not really viable for small items though), plus some sellers and most privates have no interest in sending out of the lower 48 states and true those that will send over play by the rules.

[quote name='daz' post='1013755' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:15 PM']So what your saying is its not possible to get a family member to buy it for you then send it you as a christmas pressie or somesuch. Would you still have to pay duty on this?[/quote]

If it's worth more than £36 then yes, you will.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1013759' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:22 PM']If it's worth more than £36 then yes, you will.[/quote]

[indent]Of all the bloody interfering cheek!
[/indent]
[indent]Does Santa know about this? [/indent]
[indent]Where were the UEW (Union [i]of [/i]Elfognomic Workers) when this law was being passed.?[/indent]

Edited by daz