Why become a member? ×

Are 2 Hartke 410XLs in parallel the same as one 810XL?

alternativejoe

I play through a Hartke LH500 (which is 500W at 4 Ohms and 350W at 8 Ohms) through a 410XL cab (which is 8 Ohms and a maximum of 400W), therefore, the amp is only running at 350W and there's no chance of blowing the amp/cab

Now, if I decided to get another 410XL and put it in parallel with the other one, which would reduce the resistance to 4 Ohms across both cabs, does this mean that

a) 500W are going into each cab and they're likely to blow

OR

:) 250W are going into each cab and it's safe.

If it's option b, is it exactly the same as buying an 810XL which is a single cabinet with a maximum of 800W at 4 Ohms?

Would really like to know before I go shelling out for an 810XL, cheers.

Edited by alternativejoe

Are 2 Hartke 410XLs in parallel the same as one 810XL?

Yes, they use the same speakers in both. Two cabs together will give you a 4 Ohm load and a total handling of 800W RMS. - to be honest, you'd be fine throwing the power of an LH1000 at the two cabinets with no fear of blowing them, if you are careful. Those XLs are pretty resilient - and don't forget, just because you have a 500W amp - it's not constantly running at that wattage - you'll only peak every now and then.

[quote name='alternativejoe' post='1012566' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:00 PM']I play through a Hartke LH500 (which is 500W at 4 Ohms and 350W at 8 Ohms) through a 410XL cab (which is 8 Ohms and a maximum of 400W), therefore, the amp is only running at 350W and there's no chance of blowing the amp/cab

Now, if I decided to get another 410XL and put it in parallel with the other one, which would reduce the resistance to 4 Ohms across both cabs, does this mean that

a) 500W are going into each cab and they're likely to blow

OR

:) 250W are going into each cab and it's safe.

If it's option b, is it exactly the same as buying an 810XL which is a single cabinet with a maximum of 800W at 4 Ohms?

Would really like to know before I go shelling out for an 810XL, cheers.[/quote]

IMO the other advantages to using a pair of 410XL cabs instead of an 810XL is that you have:

a) Resilience - less chance of total failure if you are splitting the work over two seperate bits of hardware.
:) Scalability - you can take a small rig out or a bigger one if you need to.
c) Portability - it's a damn sight easier to move a couple of sideboards than a wardrobe :D
d) Illility - ok, I made that one up but you'll reduce the time off work for back problems and hernias :lol:

[quote name='icastle' post='1015954' date='Nov 8 2010, 04:06 AM']d) [b] Illility [/b] - ok, I made that one up but you'll reduce the time off work for back problems and hernias :lol:[/quote]

:) :) Brilliant!