Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Giant 1000

machinehead

I've been using my LM II with a Barefaced Compact or Midget, or both, so I decided to sell my Markbass CMD121P combo.

It hasn't sold, so I've bought an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 as a back up to the LM II.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds!!

It's definately not as loud as a LM II even though it claims to be the same 500watts. (per channel ie. 2 x 500W)

But it's loud enough and the sound is extremely good.

It was bought used so the price was OK, and overall, I'm very happy. I think I'll try this on a gig. Especially through two cabs because it has two 500w channels. (My cabs are 8 ohms so, only say, 300 w per channel. Easily enough in the real world)

I think I'm going to like this amp. It's great value for money. I hope it's reliable though. It's ugly as F***. :)

Any thoughts or advice from other owners?

Frank.

Not tried one personally and Ashdown have now discontinued them. From what I have heard speaking to dealers, it's because they weren't particularly reliable.

Having said that, they've got to be one of the cheapest compact amps around and a great backup that'd probably fit in the pocket of your gig bag. They were so cheap at one point earlier in the year, it was almost daft [i]not[/i] to buy one. Not so many around now, but if I saw one cheap enough and with a full warranty, I'd seriously consider it as a spare.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1010218' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:54 PM']I've been using my LM II with a Barefaced Compact or Midget, or both, so I decided to sell my Markbass CMD121P combo.

It hasn't sold, so I've bought an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 as a back up to the LM II.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds!!

It's definately not as loud as a LM II even though it claims to be the same 500watts. (per channel ie. 2 x 500W)

But it's loud enough and the sound is extremely good.

It was bought used so the price was OK, and overall, I'm very happy. I think I'll try this on a gig. Especially through two cabs because it has two 500w channels. (My cabs are 8 ohms so, only say, 300 w per channel. Easily enough in the real world)

I think I'm going to like this amp. It's great value for money. I hope it's reliable though. It's ugly as F***. :)

Any thoughts or advice from other owners?

Frank.[/quote]

Sound is good and with a lot of clarity if you use the superfly cabs and loud as F@@@ if you are lucky they appear on fleabay every now and then I have the 484 its a great cab if you like that clean sound.....

I've had 500w & 1000w Superfly's & both the LG models in the last two years & now have a Hartke head - enough said?

To be fair the LG's did sound brilliant, but were unreliable (one went up in smoke, the other kept cutting out as the cooling fan worked at odd times!).

Love Ashdown cabs though - had a couple of MAG's for three years & recently have replaced those with a couple of Klystrons/Classics. All these speakers have been excellent.

Reliability is my only worry to be honest.

But, as it's for a back up, I should be OK. As I said, I think I'll gig this amp as a reliability test with the Markbass as back up. I really like the sound which surprised me because I thought - cheap and nasty. But no, it's cheap and sounds very good. As long as it keeps working. :)

If I had been able to sell my CMD121P combo, I was going to buy a shuttle 9.0 but that ideas been parked for the time being. If the LG1000 lets me down, I'll have a rethink.

Frank.