Why become a member? ×

Ampeg US-made 300W all-valve racked amp head *GONE*

Shaggy

Here we have an all-valve, all-US made Ampeg bass rig: SVP-pro pre-amp and - VERY rare - SVT-300 power amp, rated at 300W (switchable 4 ohm / 2 ohm speaker matching).
It’s the exact pre and power sections of the SVT2-pro as separates, so in effect that’s what it is, but with these advantages;[list]
[*]Pre and power amps run on independent separate power supplies. I was told by a tech that makes the system inherently more stable – which could be pure BS.
[*]More flexibility for running different preamp / power amp configurations; ( eg a Trace V-type into the SVT-300 etc etc) .
[*]If one section craps out you can still use the other section. In fact you can run an active bass directly into the power amp for totally clean valve tone and minimal signal path.
[*]Looks - to me – just a tad more rawk than the integrated amp. :)
[/list]
It’s in an as-new Warwick Rockcase flight case (6u I think) that sits on nice fat rubber feet, and I’ve fitted a blue LED racklight which runs directly off mains – uber-cool on stage!

I honestly don’t want to sell this, especially at such a dire time for selling.
When I was looking for my ultimate valve head I tied a Mesa 400+, Trace V6, Marshall VBA and this, and this is what I went for. It’s a totally sublime sounding, bowel-looseningly loud amplifier, but rather embarrassingly in the three or so years I’ve had it I’ve gigged it just once – literally the same time I got it the band upgraded to a 2.5kW PA, and it was just a damn sight easier to DI.
I’ve hung onto it for that festival gig or returning to backline with another band, but bottom line is it’s not being used and I could use the readies. Absolutely no issues when I last used it, but I’d give it a good checking over before selling. Stickers on front panel will remove with no marks!

Price is £750; at which I’m already making a loss, would realistically have to be collected from S Wales – it’s a big heavy brute of a thing to post - but I travel to Cambridge a few times a year so can meet M4 corridor / E Anglia.
Possible trade for vintage US basses or guitars.........PM me with any interest! :)

Edited by Shaggy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving an old FS thread, as I've now downsized to something smaller - albeit less powerful - as my "all valve" amp option.

Would also entertain trades for interesting vintage US basses or guitars, money either way.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1333916316' post='1608269']
Love the power amp Greg, are you thinking splitting? How many u's is it?

Chris
[/quote]

Hiya Chris - I think it's 4u. These are supposed to be lovely for amplifying DB too, valve warmth but crystal clear.

Yup, would consider splitting as the pre-amps are always in demand and I've thought myself about pairing it with a 1u D-class power amp - would rather sell as a rig tho. I'll see what interest there is in these hard times! The inevitable trip to Cambridge coming up in a few weeks too....

The Ric FL your only electic now? Blimey!

Thanks Greg, I could really use it be being 3u as I have a lovely old rack case that needs to hold both power amp and 1u pre! Could you check mate?

4003FL was my only bass until a few hours ago..... :rolleyes:

Hope all's well mate, perhaps we should hook up on the M11 anyway, been a long time!

Cheers

Chris

Well I kind of assumed it's 4u as it looks 4 x taller than the 1u pre-amp........ it's 6 and 3/4" (17.5 cm)tall anyway

Did you buy Stacker's v64 Ric then? Tasty........

Edit - now TRADED - thanks

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1334251215' post='1613308']
Well I kind of assumed it's 4u as it looks 4 x taller than the 1u pre-amp........ it's 6 and 3/4" (17.5 cm)tall anyway

Did you buy Stacker's v64 Ric then? Tasty........
[/quote]

Damn, 3u and I would have had it, sounds daft but I have a 1u Ampeg tube pre and a lovely retro 4u case, and I'd like to keep it all in one unit. Of course of you discovered it was 3u.......

And v63.....? Yes, and it's outstanding, seriously, probably even better than the 4003FL :)