Why become a member? ×

Fender mim, mij and mia differences?

chilievans

Circle of Fifths, I agree with most if not all of what you say - in case I wasn't clear, I wasn't saying one or the other is necessarily superior, just pointing out some differences between US, MIM and Jap basses that hadn't been mentioned yet. Whichever pickup set sounds better to me out of the MIM Standard Vintage and the US Vintage 75s will be what stays on the bass, I couldn't give a monkey's where they're made as long as they have that sound! Very interesting to hear some of your insider info by the way, cheers.

[quote]lojo Posted Today, 12:40 PM

Mate, do you ever stroll past the their bins[/quote]

Never tried that - they prolly have a guard with an AK47 near it.

That's the funny part of your English and mine.

'Bins' here are usually something that holds parts for assembly - like a parts bin or a bin of flour or rice. But I followed your statement after I tried to form the mental image of just how I might be walking past their bins of inventory for guitars. All I'd need is 5 minutes and a very large box, methinks!

[quote]LawrenceH Posted today, but I'm not too sure what time it was

Circle of Fifths, I agree with most if not all of what you say - in case I wasn't clear, I wasn't saying one or the other is necessarily superior, just pointing out some differences between US, MIM and Jap basses that hadn't been mentioned yet. Whichever pickup set sounds better to me out of the MIM Standard Vintage and the US Vintage 75s will be what stays on the bass, I couldn't give a monkey's where they're made as long as they have that sound! Very interesting to hear some of your insider info by the way, cheers.[/quote]

Just call me Joe; 'Circle Of Fifths' is so formal!

Totally no offense taken nor did I think your were being defensive. I was just trying to post something about the olde wive's tales and what Fender does or does not do with their line of gear.

The economy here - and there - is really taking it's toll on people and any security they have. Extend that to big corporations and they are running around like chickens with their legs cut off. Thankfully, Fender has the Whole Squier line on which to fall back for the nonce.

I too love an underdog (Squier) once in a while. The VM-Squiers are derided by the blue-blooded Fender owners of what they consider the ONLY Fenders that are supposed to be called so. They even dislike the MiMs as they consider them also interloping upon and sullying the line.

You know - when I am posting here to an obviously Brit site, I try to watch the colloquialisms and trite terms we use here in the States. As such, I find I drop into what I feel is 'more proper' terminology.

It might make it easier on youse guys to understand without me trying to compose like Geoffrey Chaucer.

Just strikes me funny, that's all.

sigh - I truly miss [u]listening[/u] to my associates from NZ and the UK

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004610' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:30 AM']...That's the funny part of your English and mine.

'Bins' here are usually something that holds parts for assembly - like a parts bin or a bin of flour or rice. But I followed your statement after I tried to form the mental image of just how I might be walking past their bins of inventory for guitars. All I'd need is 5 minutes and a very large box, methinks![/quote]
Haha nice bit of deciphererage. :lol:

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004610' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:30 AM']...running around like chickens with their legs cut off. Thankfully, Fender has the Whole Squier line on which to fall back for the [b]nonce[/b]....

....You know - when I am posting here to an obviously Brit site, I try to watch the colloquialisms and trite terms we use here in the States. As such, I find I drop into what I feel is 'more proper' terminology...[/quote]
That being the case you should know that "nonce" in Brit English in the main means something slightly [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce"]different[/url]. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1004631' date='Oct 28 2010, 04:57 PM']That being the case you should know that "nonce" in Brit English in the main means something slightly [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce"]different[/url]. :)[/quote]

I wish youse guys would learn to speak the King's English!

Maybe Bill Shakey* meant that in his prose when he used 'nonce'.

I shan't use it any more though - thanks for the tip!

* William Shakespeare.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004634' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:01 AM']I wish youse guys would learn to speak the King's English!

* William Shakespeare.[/quote]
Man, people don't even Speak the [b]Queen's[/b] English anymore.

This is how you do it now - NSFW

Of course up here in Scotland we still speak proper. :)

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004634' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:01 AM']I wish youse guys would learn to speak the King's English!

* William Shakespeare.[/quote]

You mean "English" English?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1004641' date='Oct 28 2010, 05:14 PM']Man, people don't even Speak the [b]Queen's[/b] English anymore.

Of course up here in Scotland we still speak proper. :)[/quote]

What planet was that on? Lot's of , er, Gaelic terms there - huh?

I will try to find some Ebonics for you - but I like the old 'Valley Girl' talk when it was popular here in SoCal.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1004650' date='Oct 29 2010, 01:33 AM']What planet was that on? Lot's of , er, Gaelic terms there - huh?

I will try to find some Ebonics for you - but I like the old 'Valley Girl' talk when it was popular here in SoCal.[/quote] Yeah sorry if it was a bit strong but I did put NSFW. :lol:

I'd not heard the word before but I think that vid shows our version of Ebonics. It's a parody of a new urban English (AFAIK spoken only in England - the rest of the UK hasn't succumbed yet) that has sprung up in the last couple of years. I know it as Jafaikan (Jamaican + fake) but I don't know how accurate that is or even if it's offencive to call it that. It is heard a lot in the national media now, albeit in a diluted form.

edit : I can't stop playing the "A owl" bit. It totally makes me LOL. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1004660' date='Oct 28 2010, 05:55 PM']Yeah sorry if it was a bit strong but I did put NSFW. :lol:

I'd not heard the word before but I think that vid shows our version of Ebonics. It's a parody of a new urban English (AFAIK spoken only in England - the rest of the UK hasn't succumbed yet) that has sprung up in the last couple of years. I know it as Jafaikan (Jamaican + fake) but I don't know how accurate that is or even if it's offencive to call it that. It is heard a lot in the national media now, albeit in a diluted form.

edit : I can't stop playing the "A owl" bit. It totally makes me LOL. :)[/quote]

Got sidetracked looking for Ebonics Lessons with a few clips from Cheech & Chong.

How did you enter the code to insert the Youtube clip?

• 1 month later...

Sorry - I've not been around Basschat recently, but I happened on this thread and just thought I'd add my 10-pennyworth. I totally agree with Joe - the sound and the playability are what count, not the logo. I have an oldish Squier Telecaster that, apart from a slight tendency to drift out of tune, is just about the nicest Tele I've played.

But to answer the question, my all-time favourite bass is my '70 RI CIJ Fender Precision - model PB70-US - beautiful alder body in 3-colour sunburst, American Vintage pup, build quality I'd only dreamed of, and all the glorious vintage P-Bass sounds I'd dreamed of too... She's 10 years old, but I found her a couple of months ago in my usual music shop, and just couldn't leave without her. Best buy I ever made, I think: