Why become a member? ×

Thinline Telecaster Style 5 String

nugget

Hi - Just drawn up the plans for my new bass, i KNOW it's gonna have bad neck dive - I dont care, I just want to make it.
I'll update the post when I get cutting wood over Xmas holidays... Plans done to scale on cad so I can print out and use as a template.
I think it's gonna look cool especially as I'm now playing in a big country and western band.....

Ta Nugget

[quote name='nugget' post='1001580' date='Oct 26 2010, 07:24 PM']Hi - Just drawn up the plans for my new bass, i KNOW it's gonna have bad neck dive - I dont care, I just want to make it.
I'll update the post when I get cutting wood over Xmas holidays... Plans done to scale on cad so I can print out and use as a template.
I think it's gonna look cool especially as I'm now playing in a big country and western band.....

Ta Nugget[/quote]
Why should it dive ....simply counter balance before final fixing of the cap...aint like any added weight will be on show...

T Lines...dems ma ting...innit :)

Looks fantastic.

I used to have a couple of G&L ASAT's. One was a semi-hollow which looked, played and sounded fantastic. So wish I'd not got rid of it.

Regarding neck-dive, I think you'll be surprised. My ASAT's balanced fine, possibly in part to me using "grippy" straps. Maybe if it bothers you too much, look at using Ultralite tuners if at all possible.

T

IF I can sell my spare cab I'm going for a light coloured body and flame maple top with a waterbased blue stain done as a sunburst style thing, heavy stain on back and sides with light stain in middle of top. Pearl white scratchplate. If I cant sell the cab (genz benz 610 currently on ebay if anyone is interested) then its going to be ash/alder and a blue glitter paint. either wat it's for sure going to be a thinline style with hollows and f-hole cut into the top.

I know flame maple is a bit of a cliche these days but it does look good with a stain and I prefer the look compared to spalted etc

Pickups are a big question - I want an 18mm space (5 string) at the bridge and would like nordstrand big single pups but they only do 19mm and it bugs me when the pole pieces dont line up with the strings. I might go with 2 MM humbuckers (olp narrow spacing replacements) as shown in the plans as they look 'right' or possible a P at the neck and MM at the bridge. I do want a vintage warm deep punchy sound rather than the agressive bright in-your-face delano hybrid on my MM (which I adore for everything but country music).

I'd like suggestions on pickups!!

I've wanted a tele style bass for a while but cant stretch to an ASAT thinline, the Alden TV ones on ebay look ok but dont do 5 string and the pups look a bit naf. I know exactly what I want so the only way is to build one! I've built a couple of 6 string guitars quite a few years back which turned out good so I know what it takes.

I agree with the comments about the neck dive, either counterbalance or / and a good strap will overcome any problems.

Also if anyone has any wood they would like to sell.....

Thanks for the encouragement

Nugget

[quote name='Colledge' post='1001769' date='Oct 26 2010, 09:37 PM']imo would look even better with a smaller scratch plate and a proper tele style chrome control plate rather than a telebass style setup.[/quote]

I know what you meen - I've been mulling this over for a few weeks now, I love the std telecaster look with small scratchplate but for some reason I dont like the look when you enlarge the body to take a 34" scale!! I've looked at lots of pix of std tele style bases and they dont really do it for me but the thinline version does still look good when bigger (in my opinion)

I'll check out Nordstrand for custom pups! but I've just looked on wizards website and they look ok??????

[quote name='nugget' post='1001747' date='Oct 26 2010, 09:12 PM']I agree with the comments about the neck dive, either counterbalance or / and a good strap will overcome any problems.[/quote]

I used comfort strapps. They work great to stop slipping and spread the weight of heavier basses.

T