Why become a member? ×

right hand finger speed

Moonstomper

[quote name='Twigman' post='999857' date='Oct 25 2010, 11:51 AM']doesn't work for me...since suffering nerve damage in my neck 2 years ago I don't have the strength to hold a pick!!! - I have had to relearn everything that used to be plectrum on fingers...which makes strummed bass chords...er different....that's the only area I struggle with now.[/quote]

blimey, that is a bit of a nightmare... I used to just use a pick all the time but fingers help with versatility, I ocassionally use the forefinger nail as a pick, usually in an total emergency, it is not nice though :)

It is pretty enjoyable messing about with different styles and techniques anyway, you find yourself doing stuff you couldn't learn from a book by noodling about, lovely lovely bass practice :lol:

I used to have my right hand & forearm cramp up when playing a fast version of 'get out of denver' fingerstyle in the second half of the last set of o5b gigs a few years ago. I heven't had any problems since I let the amp do more of the work by using lighter strings (TI JF344s), using a limiter (cheapo behringer pedal), turning the amp up and playing with a much lighter touch.

Another +1 for Maiden - but aim for a steady stream of 8th (or 16th) notes rather than the Maiden "gallop". This means you'll have a different finger on the "one" each time, but it'll feel ok after a bit of practice. Start at a comfortable BPM and work up to your target by 5 BPM every day. Don't try to do too much too soon and strain something!