Why become a member? ×

Pedal to act like passive tone control ?

BigBeatNut

Okay, I like my active basses. BUT ... if I go back to my '79 precision I find the tone control on that cuts the treble to a much greater degree than any active bass treble control.

So is there any chance of finding a pedal that does that same deep cut ?

I guess a low output impedance buffer as discussed [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1261"]HERE[/url] , followed by a simple pot + cap as found in passive basses might do the job. But I've searched for something like that in the past with no luck.

And it is a pedal I want. I'm not considering (for the two basses I have in mind) swapping out the current pre for another (say, an Audere), nor I am thinking of going back to passive (in particular, I do like to be able to tweak the bass control).

Any ideas ?

Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='Dubs' post='1000033' date='Oct 25 2010, 02:11 PM']Have you thought about trying to use an EQ pedal?[/quote]

My Boss GEB-7 doesn't do the job ... did you have something specific in mind ?

The boss appears to do 15 db of cut at any one frequency ... from my recollection of electronics the passive RC network that you get from a passive bass type tone control will carry on cutting more treble the higher the frequency gets.

Or maybe I'm hearing something else, like the interaction of the RC network with the low impedance of the pickup ? Does that produce a mid-bump ?

Whatever, I'm looking for something that matches the 'depth' of the precision with the tone rolled down, and so far I've only found that in sophisticated devices like a PODxt (amp modelling PLUS EQ) ... I'd like to try and do the same thing with a simpler piece of kit.

I've also considered boutique pedals, such as those that claim to emulate the the passive baxandall eq found in amps such as Ampeg flip tops ... but again that sounds like an expensive solution to a simple problem.

If I'm not careful I'm going to talk myself into doing lots of time consuming googling for circuits and getting tooled up with all the gear to make a pedal myself ...

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever tried the MXR BASS DI+ unit?

I find it can greatly boost or cut like an active would, yet it is totally invisible in the OFF or even the neutral EQ mode.

It has a very warm distortion and if you get in trouble gigging it, you can just hit one button and get a nice pre-loaded EQ that will see you through the gig.

I run a very simple board and it is my main player.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1001794' date='Oct 26 2010, 08:57 PM']Aha .... from this graph

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=76869&d=1198345695"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.p...mp;d=1198345695[/url]

It looks like a submarine pedal does the job.[/quote]

thats a big muff tone stack.

it'd be very easy to build a rc filter into a box if you wanted to, you could even have a rotary switch to set the cut off frequency etc.

[quote name='cocco' post='1011658' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:38 AM']I'd say build it! You sound like you know enough about electronics to not make a complete hash of it. Failing that get one built? Pm me for details of a slightly odd man in a valley who likes nothing more than building stomp boxes.[/quote]
I may just get back to you re the stomp box builder.

Yeah, I have considered building it, might go that route too ... only thing stopping me is that last time I did anything remotely like that that was 30+ years ago, so I'd need to acquire all the gear for doing it (I don't have a ready stash of resistors, caps, switches, sockets etc). Where do people get this stuff these days ... Maplins ?

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1014031' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:03 AM']I may just get back to you re the stomp box builder.

Yeah, I have considered building it, might go that route too ... only thing stopping me is that last time I did anything remotely like that that was 30+ years ago, so I'd need to acquire all the gear for doing it (I don't have a ready stash of resistors, caps, switches, sockets etc). Where do people get this stuff these days ... Maplins ?[/quote]

aye maplins is a good bet, or www.bitsbox.co.uk if you don't mind using the interwebs to order things.