Why become a member? ×

Squier Bass quality?

Cygnus x-1

Apart fron the £50 or so, can anybody enlighten me on the differences between the Squier Affinity series basses and the Squier Standard series basses. Where does the extra £50 go? Is the neck the same?

Over on the USA Talkbass forum there is a lot of love for the Affinity's, just curious for a friend, cheers, Nick

The Affinity has the small sealed tuners whilst the Standard has open gear style ones. The A has a alder body and the S has a agathis body if I remember right. What differance this makes, I couldn`t tell you. Possibly better quality of maple used for the neck?

I have owned a couple of Affinity`s, a black one and a lovely 2 t sunburst and they are decent enough basses. And you can pick em up for about £60 s/hand.

Jez

I owned a Standard Jazz for 6 months or so of this year and thought it was pretty good. Some of the work on the fretboard near the nut seemed a bit rough and there were a few somewhat sharp fret edges, but aside from that it all seemed pretty well put together.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='997595' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:36 PM'][i][b]The Affinity has the small sealed tuners[/b][/i] whilst the Standard has open gear style ones. The A has a alder body and the S has a agathis body if I remember right. What differance this makes, I couldn`t tell you. Possibly better quality of maple used for the neck?

I have owned a couple of Affinity`s, a black one and a lovely 2 t sunburst and they are decent enough basses. And you can pick em up for about £60 s/hand.

Jez[/quote]

I thought I have seen some pics of Affinity's with full size open back tuners. Infact a mate had a Affinity P-Bass in about 2003 and i'm 99% sure it had large open back tuners.

With regard to the jazz, anyone know if the pickups/electronics are the same in both basses?
cheers for advice so far, Nick.

I have an Indonesian made Squier Affinity Jazz bass. Very well put together, and sounded pretty good straight out the box. Even came well set up. The fit and finish of everything well above par for a bass of that price, and in fact, is better put together than a USA Jazz I have seen recently! :)

I have modded mine a little, and fitted a better bridge, and also fitted an EMG J Set of pickups. It can hold it's own against far more expensive basses.

As far as I know, the body wood on mine is Agathis/ Basswood, and the neck is Maple.

The body slab is thinner than a USA on the Affinity (I have P and J) is this the same on the standard versions?

My jazz is ace but then again its got full size tuners and the holes opened up to suit, The neck and frets finished off properly, A BadassII bridge, Bartolini pickups, An EBS preamp and the jack socket mounted into the body and a Fender 3 ply pickuard just to top it off so I suppose it should be good!

I have just started the same process with the P bass version I just got off ebay for £80. Looking like a Bare Knuckle pickup going in for a start and the Stellah BB02 bridge has arrived so the BBOT can go in the bin with the one off my Jazz where they belong!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='999144' date='Oct 24 2010, 10:52 AM']Sound like the full size open tuners are standard [b]now[/b] then? Im not sure how old my P bass is but the Jazz is a 2006 and both had the weedy little ones that wont hold in tune.[/quote]

Not too sure where 'now' begins and ends, but I've got a 1999½ Squier Affinity Precision, and it has the open gears:::

The Squier Affinities are a little smaller than the MiM Jazz though:::

As far as quality goes - the Squier can hold it's own against most P's now since when a p'up croaked, I replaced them both with some from a Peavey P-style bass and then added a .1uFcap on a toggle switch and the ROTO 77s.

Super chunky tone and deep resonance and lots of power.

The wood has never been a consideration - but I am sure it's not a primo-type wood. It is just a place to mount the neck and strings I feel and quality of wood means very little in my opinion.

I play this bass whenever a P is required and it's great feeling and sounding. Smooth, no fret sprout and it doesn't have any scratches, buckle rash or dings in it at all - but that's how all my gear is. I keep all of it that way.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

I have an Affinity 25th Anniversary P-bass - it was my only bass up until last month when I bought the Squier CV Jazz. The Affinity was great - I think that had I the time or the money I'd get the wiring completely redone with a little more shielding but the neck, body, tuners and pups have all been fine. Only issues I've had has been a slight buzz from the wiring and having to replace the jack socket.