Why become a member? ×

Replacement nut

Jono Bolton

The original nut on my Jazz was very low down, and when I swapped to a Badass bridge the low E would jump out of the nut slot if I detuned to D (which I do, a lot). So my local tech made me a new nut, a Graph Tech one at a cost of £20. It was fine, good action, but the other night I was playing and a large chunk broke off, from the bottom of the low E slot to the top edge of the nut. I didn't hit it too hard, and I've hit harder, so I was a bit gutted when it broke.

My question is, do I get my tech to make me a new one using the spare blank he gave me, or will a new precut form eBay do? There's several one eBay just now from very reputable dealers, precut to fit Jazz's and P basses. Has anyone got any experience of buying precut nuts? I don't want to spend money on a precut nut if it going to have the same problems as the original Fender one, but I don't want to spend even more on one being made for me just for it to break again.

If it broke, it is probably cause the slot wasn't quite big enough, graphtechs do that, they are brittle. Whilst unemployed I filed one out of a bone from the butchers, worked pretty well. Set of files is ytou best bet, I found a graphtec slightly too thick for my p copy so I skimmed it down with wet and dry laid over a piece of glass ( totally flat that way).

Looking at the remains of the nut, the string slot on the low E was more of a square cut than a semi circle i.e straight lines and 90 degree angles than an nice, smooth cut, thats probably a big factor in it. Think I might try one off ebay, perhaps not Tusq, but at a fiver if it doesn't work it's hardly a major loss.

[quote name='jono b' post='114149' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:46 PM']Has anyone tried the Graphtech trem nuts? Any good?[/quote]

I put one on my fender jaguar, it was like putting a new set of tuners on it really smooth highly recommended especially if you use a Hipshot d-tuner

[quote name='steve-norris' post='114609' date='Jan 6 2008, 12:05 PM']I put one on my fender jaguar, it was like putting a new set of tuners on it really smooth highly recommended especially if you use a Hipshot d-tuner[/quote]

+1, Local music shop sold me Graphtec for same price as normal cause bod didn't know the difference. They do indeed me my detuner happy.