Why become a member? ×

ashdown pedals - any good?

john_the_bass

hello
an ashdown compressor popped up on a google search for an alright price, wondered if anybody had any experience of them? They look like they're well put together, but are they any good? I know the only real way to find out is to pull the trigger on one, but if it's no good it's readies I could have put to something decent.

Ta

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='112934' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:39 PM']hello
an ashdown compressor popped up on a google search for an alright price, wondered if anybody had any experience of them? They look like they're well put together, but are they any good? I know the only real way to find out is to pull the trigger on one, but if it's no good it's readies I could have put to something decent.

Ta[/quote]

I had a Ashdown overdrive pedal… it was extremely sturdy defiantly road ready but unfortunately it wasn’t what I was looking for… no idea on the compressor but there defiantly well built.

I think the outer casing is sturdy enough but the inners are a bit cack - the mickey mouse VU meter is glued in and doesn't provide any useful function. I also had a Bass Drive and held on to it for all of three days. Some online retailers are selling off their stock of these pedals for £35 each, which, after an initial retail price of £89, might tell you something....

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='112934' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:39 PM']hello

Ta[/quote]

Hi,

Ive tried one and didnt really enjoy the experience. Im a big fan of Ashdown amps but cant say the sound quality of the pedal did anything for me. If your after decent compression I'd most certainly go far a valve driven unit. Im just keenly awaiting delivery of a DHA Bass Comp reasonable costs and hopefully top notch sounds.

The EHX Blackfinger is excellent but is very large if your using a pedal board.

I'll let ya know how the DHA goes if your interested.

Col