Why become a member? ×

Which pickups? Too many choices!

Wylie

I need a pair of pickups for my Squier jazz. All are quite similar in price over here--around $110 per pair--but what a range of choices (at least among brands, if not sounds).

May try the Duncan Basslines Hot Jazz pickups, also looking at their Vintage Bass pickups. I want to keep a pretty deep neck tone but I also want to be able to dial up some growl/definition from the bridge pickup; the current stock pair are just barely making the grade.

Currently playing mostly jazz with a trio (no drums), and definition and clarity are a must.

I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,
Ted

Maybe try Fender replacements? Tryout a stock Fender Jazz 62 reissue in a music shop. Admittedly the wood of the bass will have a factor, but this should give you an indication of whether the Fenders will give you the sound yr after. I put the Fender Original/Vintage pickup in my MIM P-Bass, and it has made a great difference to the stock pickups.

[quote name='umph' post='990082' date='Oct 16 2010, 12:05 PM']personally i'd get in touch with wizard pick ups[/quote]

+1.
I had Wizards in my CV Jazz and they really made a nice difference.

As the OP is in the USA it might work out cheaper for him to buy one of the bigger brands over there.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993793' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:23 PM']+1.
I had Wizards in my CV Jazz and they realyl made a nice difference.

As the OP is in the USA it might work out cheaper for him to buy one of the bigger brands over there.[/quote]

I did get in touch with Wizard's US distributor, Jade Guitars, in Herndon, Virginia, after emailing Andy. The Wizard Jazz 84s can be had over here for only about $10 over the price of top-line Duncans and Bartolinis, so I may go with the Wizards.

tg

[quote name='tedgilley' post='994029' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:06 PM']I did get in touch with Wizard's US distributor, Jade Guitars, in Herndon, Virginia, after emailing Andy. The Wizard Jazz 84s can be had over here for only about $10 over the price of top-line Duncans and Bartolinis, so I may go with the Wizards.

tg[/quote]

Nice one. Ive just replied to your PM about them but i forgot to add that they do seem to give a more articulated, more defined tone, especially to the higher notes.
You may find the 84's a bit dark sounding, i did with my CV Jazz but as ive explained, Andy will do you a custom wind that will give you a bit of 84's and 64's, called 74's (no surprise there)
I think a few of us have had these done.
Im not sure how you stand to get this done in the USA though.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 month later...

[quote name='tedgilley' post='989149' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:14 PM']I need a pair of pickups for my Squier jazz. All are quite similar in price over here--around $110 per pair--but what a range of choices (at least among brands, if not sounds).

May try the Duncan Basslines Hot Jazz pickups, also looking at their Vintage Bass pickups. I want to keep a pretty deep neck tone but I also want to be able to dial up some growl/definition from the bridge pickup; the current stock pair are just barely making the grade.

Currently playing mostly jazz with a trio (no drums), and definition and clarity are a must.

I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,
Ted[/quote]

Hi Ted,

Probably to late as you have probably bought those pickups, but can i suggest having a look at boost the signal from your existing pickups, I have the same probs with my fav old jazz bass. so i use a art mic pre to boost the signal its a valve preamp costs 30 bucks. I was amazing at the increased definition clarity and low end tightness i got from a little boosting, if you start playing amplified double bass you will defo need to use one as a signal boost and a buffer amp. just junk the stock tube its no good, if you can put in a jj 12UA7