Why become a member? ×

Elite Flatwound Strings

BASainty

I have been looking for some flats for my bass for a while now,
I love Elite Players and Stadium strings and I use them exclusively but i wana know what the Elite Flatwound strings are like before I buy a set.

Also could someone tell me what Ground wound string are? coz I have no idea what makes them different.

Thanks.

Elites Flatwound strings are, in my opinion, very high tension with a dull sound. They only come in one gauge which you either like or don't. I didn't like them at all but they may work for you. I was a lot happier with D'Addario Chromes in a lighter gauge (40-95, 45-105).

Groundwound strings start from a roundwound string, which is then ground flat, as opposed to flatwounds, which have a flat material to begin with.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='988784' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:02 AM']I have been looking for some flats for my bass for a while now,
I love Elite Players and Stadium strings and I use them exclusively but i wana know what the Elite Flatwound strings are like before I buy a set.

Also could someone tell me what Ground wound string are? coz I have no idea what makes them different.

Thanks.[/quote]

I have put GHS flats on two of my basses, and I love them. They do not bring more tension to the bass, and they are cheaper than some brands of flats. I find they have a nice fat sound, but not dull or 'thumpy' as some have reported.

I don't believe ground-wounds are ground flat, but only flattened somewhat. The thing to be aware of is that the core string in a ground-wound (or half-round as they're also called) is of larger diameter than a a roundwound or flatwound string; you'd want to know how much extra tension you might have to deal with before buying them.

'GHS Precision Flatwound Stainless Steel.'

tg

I've been really happy with D'addrio chromes found them much better than Elites & Rotosounds but that is all i have tried to date

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DAddario-ECB81-XL-Chromes-Bass-45-100-Long/E79"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...45-100-Long/E79[/url]