Why become a member? ×

Posting Band Videos On YouTube

Oggy

Hi fellow Basschatters,

My band has a couple of guys with (pro quality) camcorders coming to a gig in the next couple of weeks ‘Fiddlers Elbow – Camden – 21st Oct’ (shameless plug) to do some video / sound recording for us to post on YouTube and our own web site!

The idea is that if we can get 2 or 3 good numbers from the set and post them on the web for promo we might get a few more gigs. None of the tracks or video content is for sale, just for band promo.

My question to you chaps is: How does copyright effect what we post? We’re a Blues/Rock band and all our stuff is covers – Joe Bonomass, BB King, Clapton, all the usual suspects. Would we have to get permission from artists or writers to post our interpretations? Do we need to ‘credit’ anyone? Will I find a Lawyer on my doorstep? :)

What can you chaps tell me??????

Oggy :lol:

My limited experience in this field (a couple of bands I'm in have videos of covers on youtube), is that you should be fine! As long as you're not out to make profit, no-one will bat an eyelid.

It's when you upload original recordings that record companies (who usually own the sound recording, but not the intellectual rights to the composition) start to take notice. If it's blatant unauthorised distribution, then they get a bit miffed. Results seem to vary wildly though.

But you're not doing any of that. Go ahead!

I've always put covers up on YouTube as well as originals. Never been a problem. I've always credited who the song was originally by. Millions of bedroom players do covers and I never hear of any issues. The reality is you don't get more than a few hundred hits so if it is a breach of copyright then I think the lawyers reckon we're not worth the effort.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='989527' date='Oct 15 2010, 06:30 PM']I've always put covers up on YouTube as well as originals. Never been a problem. I've always credited who the song was originally by. Millions of bedroom players do covers and I never hear of any issues. The reality is you don't get more than a few hundred hits so if it is a breach of copyright then I think the lawyers reckon we're not worth the effort.[/quote]

[quote name='Huberry']My limited experience in this field (a couple of bands I'm in have videos of covers on youtube), is that you should be fine! As long as you're not out to make profit, no-one will bat an eyelid.

It's when you upload original recordings that record companies (who usually own the sound recording, but not the intellectual rights to the composition) start to take notice. If it's blatant unauthorised distribution, then they get a bit miffed. Results seem to vary wildly though.

But you're not doing any of that. Go ahead![/quote]

Thanks BurritoBass & Huwberry - We'll just have to see now if we get anything from the set that's worth putting up on YouTube :) . I'll stick a post on here when / if anything makes it off the cutting room floor :lol:.

Oggy :)

• 1 month later...

You should be fine, i had 5 covers by my band up on youtube. The likely truth is that your version is not the EXACT same as the original, so the WMG stuff that analyses every youtube video wont pick up on it. And its only stuff owned by Warner Music Group that ever causes any problems anyway it seems.

Liam