Why become a member? ×

Help! Sansamp Classic low output problem

D____

Hello!

Wondered if anyone can please help me in identifying an issue with my Sansamp Classic.

When 'engaged', the volume level I had even with my clean tone DROPS massively, despite
the Output level being turned to full (and the presence/drive knobs not being sparingly used..)
It still sounds great, deep full distortion, but.. at such a low volume that it's not even worth
hittin' on.

I have very little technical knowledge, and despite numerous searches I've been unable to find
if there is a consistent issue or if this is a common problem. The pedal is an original and not one
of the reissues, all connections in the back seem to be.. connected.

Many thanks in advance for all/any help!

-Daniel

Thought I had this sussed when I realised the knob wasn't in the right place of rotation on the output level, but nada. Still really quiet.

Before anyone says it.. it's not a dying battery, I run it from a psu (and it was the same when it had a new battery in also) Bit puzzled.

Help?

• 5 years later...

[quote name='phuze' timestamp='1444632413' post='2884551']
Bumping this thread as I have a similar issue. My Sansamp is pretty old now, 15 years or so, and I'm sure it didn't use to be this quiet. Any tech wizards got any thoughts?
[/quote]

Do you have the problem on both the XLR out and the Jack out ?

Edited by rmorris

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1444682137' post='2885107']
Do you have the problem on both the XLR out and the Jack out ?
[/quote]

Not sure as it's at the beginning of the chain on my pedalboard. I do recall using the XLR in studios and engineers saying it was a low output. I swear it never used to be this low though

[quote name='phuze' timestamp='1444726074' post='2885298']
Not sure as it's at the beginning of the chain on my pedalboard. I do recall using the XLR in studios and engineers saying it was a low output. I swear it never used to be this low though
[/quote]

Does the Output Level switch (as mentioned by wateroftyne above) have any effect ?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444803006' post='2886078']
I seem to recall the switch was added to bump up the output 'cos it wasn't hot enough to drive a power amp.
[/quote]

That sounds about right - it basically goes between the sort of level you get in an effects chain and 'proper pro audio' line level