Why become a member? ×

Starter bass upgrades?

BASainty

I still have my starter bass laying around, its a Gigsby P-Bass that cost like £90 at most.
It has amazing playability and im a little attached to it but...it simply cant stand up to my basses I have now.

Since its so cheap all the parts to make it are going to be cheap, is there any point in investing in upgrades to make it any better?

Like will upgrades (Pick-ups, Bridge, Maybe a new neck) actually make it any better or because its so cheap would it just be a lost cause?

I wouldn't worry too much about the hardware. You can probably pick up some decent secondhand precision pickups from here, which would probably improve the sound. If you're happy with the playability of the bass, no point in changing the neck etc.

Nige.

[quote name='yorick' post='979418' date='Oct 6 2010, 02:32 PM']I wouldn't worry too much about the hardware. You can probably pick up some decent secondhand precision pickups from here, which would probably improve the sound. If you're happy with the playability of the bass, no point in changing the neck etc.

Nige.[/quote]

So you think it wouldn't be a waste of time trying to make it better?

Coz someone told me it would be pointless and a waste of money so I was a bit meh on it

Plus do you think it would be worth changing the bridge?

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='979420' date='Oct 6 2010, 02:35 PM']So you think it wouldn't be a waste of time trying to make it better?

Coz someone told me it would be pointless and a waste of money so I was a bit meh on it

Plus do you think it would be worth changing the bridge?[/quote]

The sound of a bass can easily be improved, ie new pickups, active electronics etc. But the playability, which you seem to be happy with, is always going to be problem to improve, and a perhaps a lot more costly than pickups. As for the bridge, if you can set the string height and set the intonation accurately with the one on the bass, i can't really see the point in a replacement. The Fender "bent bit of tin" bridge has been around nearly 60 years with little modification.....

Nige

If you want a louder, more HiFi, rockier, clearer (delete as applicable) sound there are plenty of pickups to choose from - you can keep the original and put it back if you decide to sell or have another bass you want to use it on. Upgrades like a chunky bridge or quality tuners are nice but the law of diminishing returns applies to these sort of things so you could end up throwing a ton of money at it for not much gain.

Also, bear in mind a few quid spent on a decent, new set of strings can do wonders for a neglected bass :)