Why become a member? ×

Yamaha trb 1005 fretless 5 string

barneyg42

Got the above arriving soon, previous owner says the strings are a bit old so what is there to be recommended? I need some mwah but still need to rock out a bit. Do I need extra long scale strings for this bass, 35 length I believe?
Cheers.

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' post='979287' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:05 PM']Got the above arriving soon, previous owner says the strings are a bit old so what is there to be recommended? I need some mwah but still need to rock out a bit. Do I need extra long scale strings for this bass, 35 length I believe?
Cheers.[/quote]
I used La Bella deep talkin flats on a Warwick Corvette fretless and they sounded good. I put a spare set on my 1005 and they sounded really wooly and unfocussed. I put the round-wounds back on, so I don't have an answer for you, just a warning.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='980085' date='Oct 7 2010, 12:12 AM']I used La Bella deep talkin flats on a Warwick Corvette fretless and they sounded good. I put a spare set on my 1005 and they sounded really wooly and unfocussed. I put the round-wounds back on, so I don't have an answer for you, just a warning.

David[/quote]
Do the rounds mark the neck much?

[quote name='barneyg42' post='980143' date='Oct 7 2010, 05:45 AM']Do the rounds mark the neck much?[/quote]

Depends on your playing style. But there's always the option of ground/half wounds.

My BB5000F is currently strung with DR Lo-Rider Nickels. I'd previously used D'Addario Chromes, but didn't get the best out of the string or the bass with that combination.

[quote name='noelk27' post='980350' date='Oct 7 2010, 11:24 AM']Depends on your playing style. But there's always the option of ground/half wounds.

My BB5000F is currently strung with DR Lo-Rider Nickels. I'd previously used D'Addario Chromes, but didn't get the best out of the string or the bass with that combination.[/quote]
Got some of the DRs in the end....very nice indeed!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='987933' date='Oct 14 2010, 12:16 PM']Got some of the DRs in the end....very nice indeed![/quote]

DR do make an exceptionally good string. Any of the variants that use the round core feel just that little bit softer than many other strings, and just making playing fretless a touch less demanding on the aging joints in my fingers.

Which variant did you opt for?

[quote name='noelk27' post='988663' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:01 AM']DR do make an exceptionally good string. Any of the variants that use the round core feel just that little bit softer than many other strings, and just making playing fretless a touch less demanding on the aging joints in my fingers.

Which variant did you opt for?[/quote]
Lo Rider Nickels as recommended, cracking sound! Band were raving about my new bass,looks and sound, and the strings really complimented it. Very nice low B, plenty of punch for the rock stuff but also very nice when EQ'd for mwaah!

• 3 years later...