Why become a member? ×

Connecting 2 amps

KERMITNT

Short answer -[b] NO!!![/b] DON'T DO IT!!! You'll let out the magic smoke

Longer answer - [i]if (and only if)[/i] the cab is wired to take two [b]separate[/b] inputs i.e. a stereo-wired cab, would you be able to do this ([b]NOT[/b] a linked input/loop-through output type arrangement)

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='crez5150' post='979203' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:54 AM']Yes you can.......
[url="http://www.palmer-germany.com/150-1-ptino.html"]PTINO[/url][/quote]
OK, well the switch allows you to swap between different amps into the same cab - not sure if that was what the OP was trying to achieve? Obviously the warning still stands if you want to run two amps into the same cab [i]without[/i] any switching (can't imagine why, though).

Ian

Bass --> LMII. LMII's FX Send --> RH450 front input (set the gain low as the LMII will be sending a line level signal). Then RH450 FX Send --> LMII FX Return. Connect the LMII [b][u]only[/u][/b] to the cab. The RH450 must not be connected in this scenario.

This way you'd be using the preamp section of both amps but only the poweramp of the LMII so you won't blow anything up. I don't know the LMII in detail but if the FX Send can be set to pre-eq that would be ideal as it will allow the EQ of each amp to be independant of each other, rather than an EQ'd signal being sent to the RH450. The RH450's FX send would also need to be set (if possible) to post-EQ so that any EQ changes you make there are sent back to the LMII. Also, if you want to vary the blend between the two amps you'd need to either do this via the input gain on the RH450 or (if it has it) the FX Send Level).

I'm not sure why you want to use both, perhaps if you tell us what you want to achieve it would help, we may be able to suggest a simpler approach.

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='979357' date='Oct 6 2010, 03:23 PM']Bass --> LMII. LMII's FX Send --> RH450 front input (set the gain low as the LMII will be sending a line level signal). Then RH450 FX Send --> LMII FX Return. Connect the LMII [b][u]only[/u][/b] to the cab. The RH450 must not be connected in this scenario.

This way you'd be using the preamp section of both amps but only the poweramp of the LMII so you won't blow anything up. I don't know the LMII in detail but if the FX Send can be set to pre-eq that would be ideal as it will allow the EQ of each amp to be independant of each other, rather than an EQ'd signal being sent to the RH450. The RH450's FX send would also need to be set (if possible) to post-EQ so that any EQ changes you make there are sent back to the LMII. Also, if you want to vary the blend between the two amps you'd need to either do this via the input gain on the RH450 or (if it has it) the FX Send Level).

I'm not sure why you want to use both, perhaps if you tell us what you want to achieve it would help, we may be able to suggest a simpler approach.

Regards,
Steve.[/quote]

thats excactly what i want to use the analogue signal of power amp lm2 and all the compressor tube tone of the other i want to experiment using both filters of the amps hear how it sounds :) maybe is terrible

Basically i want to use both preamps with LM2 power amp :lol:

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='979415' date='Oct 6 2010, 02:22 PM']thats excactly what i want to use the analogue signal of power amp lm2 and all the compressor tube tone of the other i want to experiment using both filters of the amps hear how it sounds :) maybe is terrible

Basically i want to use both preamps with LM2 power amp :lol:[/quote]

Cool, then it should work for you. I don't think it will sound terrible at all, and you'll have fun finding out if the end result sounds right for you :)

Regards,
Steve.

If you want to make use of the additional power with a second cabinet then do this:- (Or indeed just to be able to use both amplifiers at once for a more powerful rig)

Bass > RH450 Input

RH450 Output > speaker cabinet ONE

then

RH450 line driver out (or effects send) > LM2 input

LM2 output > speaker cabinet TWO

**set the LM2 EQ to the 'flat' setting as the RH450 will provide you with your programmeable EQ.**

OR!

If you like a bit of stereo, like I do sometimes, try this with a stereo chorus pedal - OOOH lush sounding!

Bass > RH450 Input

RH450 effect send > Chorus input

Chorus output A> RH450 effect return

then

Chorus Output B > LM2 input

Switch on and do your best Pino Pallodino / Peter Hook / Mark King impressions!

**set the LM2 EQ to the 'flat' setting as the RH450 will provide you with your programmeable EQ.**

The reason I have suggested connecting to the LM2 input instead of the LM2 effects loop, is that I believe the effects loop for the LM2 appears after the gain control and before the EQ in the preamp and thus won't make much difference where you connect to - other than the addition of a gain control when you plug in to the front of the LM2 head. You won't be able to bypass the EQ and thus my reasoning for starting with all the controls set to *no* boost or cut.

[quote name='dood' post='979489' date='Oct 6 2010, 05:33 PM']If you want to make use of the additional power with a second cabinet then do this:- (Or indeed just to be able to use both amplifiers at once for a more powerful rig)

Bass > RH450 Input

then

RH450 line driver out (or effects send) > LM2 input

OR!

If you like a bit of stereo, like I do sometimes, try this with a stereo chorus pedal - OOOH lush sounding!

Bass > RH450 Input

RH450 effect send > Chorus input

Chorus output A> RH450 effect return

then

Chorus Output B > LM2 input

Switch on and do your best Pino Pallodino / Peter Hook / Mark King impressions!

The reason I have suggested connecting to the LM2 input instead of the LM2 effects loop, is that I believe the effects loop for the LM2 appears after the gain control and before the EQ in the preamp and thus won't make much difference where you connect to - other than the addition of a gain control when you plug in to the front of the LM2 head. You won't be able to bypass the EQ and thus my reasoning for starting with all the controls set to *no* boost or cut.[/quote]

this is for extra power then i am sure it will work fine as LM2 is better flat and does not color the sound at all

thnx again for helping me out

steve thnx again