Why become a member? ×

a few amps i've owned over the years

umph

will post in chronological order, first i started off with an ashdown electric blue 180, which was a bit naff and when i started getting a bit more serious i moved up to this warwick with a sunn o))) 1X15 with a basslite speaker in it(still got it it makes a great noise)

From this i went to a simm watts 200PA which i really regret selling and don't have any pictures of, the problem i had with it was that the practice room we used was up 5 flights of stairs and i could handle carrying it up the stairs on my own haha.

went to a soundcity 120 after that, one of my favorite heads, shame i sold this to

went to a mesa strategy 400 power amp after that and used a cream pie as the pre amp, it was a great sound but i got offered a v6 in a trade so couldn't turn that down

v6 was great but a little bit wooly and i'd just got into building heads.

around the time i had the v6 i built my first head - a bassman 5f6 clone which does a really nice clean sound but sounds far to wooly cranked (valve rectification + bass doesn't work)

I ended up selling the v6 to fund building my first head from scratch from the carcass of an old roost slave, still got it and it sounds the dogs dangleys (toot my own horn here haha)

I then started prototyping the MS200b

Then i got a beck as my home practice amp (absolutely mint amp, great sound for home and got loud if you needed) can't remember who i sold it to but i hope hes enjoying it now!

Around the same time i got the beck i also got one of the harley benton ga5 valve amps to play around with. It went through a few different stages, it's now a 6v6 based preamp.

me and a mate picked up this marshall lead 30watter and cab for 150quid which was far to gooda deal to let go by, ended up selling it for about 900

Then decided i'd try the pre / power route again and got a matamp quasar 1000, really good heads that go for really cheap only downside is the weight. Inca has this now

ended up getting a few 400+'s in a deal i couldn't refuse, always found them a little lacking in the low end due to the fender style front end, but great heads none the less.

here are a few combos i've owned, my favorite definatly has to be the first wem one, it really made a great sound when you cranked it

latest form of the mammothsound200b will eventually get round to doing it properly!

heres an old reel to reel i converted into a 5watt valve amp, pretty great when you want distortion at not epic volumes at home

A great rare marshall 2001 amp, these amps really are svt killers, unfortunatly it needs a bit of work doing on it still and i really can't justify keeping it anymore though :)

check out the iron on it!

good old superbass and super PA, one of thems also going to have to go soon :)

first tape echo i owned, i've currently got a re-201 which needs a motor rewind

i'll put some more pictures up of amps when i get them uploaded, got a few other prototypes and another reel to reel i've done up and another little giant etc etc. the list goes on!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice loada stuff you got there. I've just seen the mesa 400+ on ebay. Is it you that is selling it or did you get rid of it some time ago? Out of interest do you have any schematics for Roost amps? I've been asked to fix one but the power supply seems to be configured differently to the schematic I've found on the Roost website and is driving me a little crazy.
Cheers Just

Edited by Subthumper