Why become a member? ×

Mark bass LMK head in bag... over heat??

jamesugster

Hello Chaps,

I've just bought a Markbass LMK head and sourced the proper MB bag to house it in. Very proudly, I was on my covers gig this even with the bag verlcroed on to the top of my cab; the amp cut out right on key chance of Livin' on a Prayer (literally)!

Thinking it was a cable or something, and plugging directly to the amp I found there was still no noise. I switched off the amp whist the guys finished the track.... when I turned it back on it worked again. It then cut out a few minutes later, off and the on did the trick.

The drummer the told me he'd seen the same thing happen to another bass player with the amp in the bag....

Has any one else had a simular experience?

Do the MB heads need to be taken out of the bag? I'm hoping theres not a fault with the amp....

Be a shame to always have to take it out the bag because it sits so nicely in there on top of cabs.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers

JAMES

That's the first that I've personally heard of that happening with these. I gigged my 1st LMII in it's bag for a while with no problems other than making the top of my amp all fluffy with the velcro - so I stopped doing it.

Maybe your amp just couldn't handle any more Bon Jovi. :)

Silly question - You did have it in the bag the right way? - so the holes line up with the vents.
Serious question - How many ohms was the cab you were putting into and how far into you set did it happen?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='967337' date='Sep 25 2010, 09:16 AM']That's the first that I've personally heard of that happening with these. I gigged my 1st LMII in it's bag for a while with no problems other than making the top of my amp all fluffy with the velcro - so I stopped doing it.

Maybe your amp just couldn't handle any more Bon Jovi. :)

Silly question - You did have it in the bag the right way? - so the holes line up with the vents.
Serious question - How many ohms was the cab you were putting into and how far into you set did it happen?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply...I appreciate it.

So you take your amp out just to stop the fluff?

Yes... i think so... i can only see how it would go in the bag one way - however, i'll double check.

Down in to 4 ohms... 2 cabs. We were 35 mins in to the second set ( 2 x 45mins ) so right near the end..... I'm guessing after what the drummer said and the fact that it came back on it probably is a heat related problem.

So rarely play bon jovi esk stuff you might be right! Just hoping it ok for the gig today because thats a bit more high pressure!

Cheers

JAMES

I used to use my LM2 in the bag but I never really pushed it. The louder you play the more heat will get generated so that would be my first guess as the cause, especially as the amp started to work after it cooled down. Is the fan working?

Try it out of the bag on the next gig.

[quote name='jamesugster' post='967404' date='Sep 25 2010, 11:17 AM']...So you take your amp out just to stop the fluff?[/quote]I certainly did. I look after my gear to the point of being OCD about it. I'm on my second LMII now which doesn't have a bag so it's not even an issue now.

[quote name='jamesugster' post='967404' date='Sep 25 2010, 11:17 AM']...Down in to 4 ohms... 2 cabs. We were 35 mins in to the second set ( 2 x 45mins ) so right near the end..... I'm guessing after what the drummer said and the fact that it came back on it probably is a heat related problem.[/quote]I just needed to check as LMII's don't like 2ohms.

[quote name='jamesugster' post='967404' date='Sep 25 2010, 11:17 AM']...So rarely play bon jovi esk stuff you might be right![/quote]:)

[quote name='jamesugster' post='967404' date='Sep 25 2010, 11:17 AM']...Just hoping it ok for the gig today because thats a bit more high pressure![/quote]I would be tempted to shelve it until you find out the problem. Can you get another amp for today?

Can you clarify if you have a LMK or a LMII?

If it is quite old then there might be a build up of dust and crap inside. Air gets sucked in past the heatsinks and is blown out the back but it also deposits sh*te on the heatsinks and as it builds up it effectively becomes a nice woolly jumper for your heatsinks. I get under the hood and hoover mine out regularly (yes OCD :lol:) to make sure the heatsinks run efficiently.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='967667' date='Sep 25 2010, 02:33 PM']I certainly did. I look after my gear to the point of being OCD about it. I'm on my second LMII now which doesn't have a bag so it's not even an issue now.

I just needed to check as LMII's don't like 2ohms.

:)

I would be tempted to shelve it until you find out the problem. Can you get another amp for today?

Can you clarify if you have a LMK or a LMII?

If it is quite old then there might be a build up of dust and crap inside. Air gets sucked in past the heatsinks and is blown out the back but it also deposits sh*te on the heatsinks and as it builds up it effectively becomes a nice woolly jumper for your heatsinks. I get under the hood and hoover mine out regularly (yes OCD :lol:) to make sure the heatsinks run efficiently.[/quote]

Well I took it on the gig last night with the same two cabs (4 ohms) out of the bag and it was fine. Both we loud-ish but not ridiculous so I think i was running the amp probably just as hard. I gave them amp a hover on the outside which may have helped but I might take the top and do it in side too. I think i'll have it out again next Sat so i'm going to try it in the bag again, prime the techies if it goes down to fly over and whip the bag off.

Another thing is I found cable with an intermittent fault in my rig last night so that so theres an out side chance that may have caused the cut outs... but I find it unlikely.

Its an LMK. Actually if worst comes to worst i've got another LMK sitting in a 1 x 12 combo. Strange thing is, thinking about it, having one of those in a combo would cover up the side vents. The bag is designed so the side vents are exposed. So theoritcally it should stand more chance of running in to heat relates problems in a combo. However, its rare I ever ran them down to 4 ohms.

Bit of dusting is probably the next port of call.

Cheers for all you help chaps.

JAMES

ps I rarely ever play bon jovi - guilty pleasure.