Why become a member? ×

Where to source EBS 1x12 Neo drivers?

sockdeluxe_mikey

Hi all,

There is some chance that my EBS 1x12 Neo has developed an irritating problem with the driver :) basically, there is a slight buzzing noise being generated between the dome and the cone of the driver (excuse if I mix terms up) which happens after about 1/3 or so of master volume (I use a MarkBass SA450, and the ratings by and large match up). In the words of the technician who checked my cabinet, you probably wouldn't hear it very well at gig volume but you would (and audibly can) at bedroom level.

I've already called Bernie Goodfellow about it, but I was just wondering if there was any place that sells the EBS Neo drivers (obviously the 300 watt 8 ohm one specifically, ideally)? Bernie will hopefully help me sort it all out but obviously every little helps in this situation. I will probably have to buy a new driver as I'm actually the second owner, but only of about a week or so :lol: :) :) i

Edited by sockdeluxe_mikey

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='967080' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:50 PM']Bernie is the sole distributor of EBS gear in the UK. Bernie is your man. If you contact EBS direct, in most cases they will direct you to Bernie as well![/quote]

Yeah, I'm going to see him tomorrow and see what comes out of it. I'm going to prepare myself for an expensive fix :) have had very useful PM's, and at least it sounds like I'll find a way of fixing the situation somehow.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='968132' date='Sep 26 2010, 03:48 AM']If it is not too late the dome can simply be stuck back down with some latex based adhesive like Copydex. Ive done this lots and so far it works every time.[/quote]
The adhesive used by Eminence is superglue (cyanoacrylic). Run a bead of it around the joint, spray it with superglue accelerator for an instant cure.

Thanks all - I will maybe do this sometime soon! I appreciate everybody's help (and it has been truly helpful).

I've used it at a gig and rehearsal now and the driver actually does seem to be fine - you simply cannot hear the vibration at those levels. The tech basically said to me considering the nature of the vibration, either the driver will be fine and the noise could actually go away completely because the driver will compress any gaps around the dome, or it will completely fall apart and so far it seems to just hold up fine, so I will probably attempt something like Copydex or simple glue like Mr. Fitzmaurice suggested if the vibration stays for a while (or obviously gets worse).

At that kind of stage, I'll possibly have to replace the driver anyway so if I mess it up it won't be a biggie :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='968428' date='Sep 26 2010, 03:03 PM']The adhesive used by Eminence is superglue (cyanoacrylic). Run a bead of it around the joint, spray it with superglue accelerator for an instant cure.[/quote]
I'd back Bill on this one. I use copydex because I've always used it but the dust cap is a rigid fix and if cyanoacrylate is good enough for Eminence...

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='970309' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:56 AM']I'd back Bill on this one. I use copydex because I've always used it but the dust cap is a rigid fix and if cyanoacrylate is good enough for Eminence...[/quote]

But is it good enough? The OPs problem of movement between the cone and the dome suggests that the original glue might not be up to it.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='973056' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:54 PM']But is it good enough? The OPs problem of movement between the cone and the dome suggests that the original glue might not be up to it.[/quote]
Cyanoacrylic is the industry standard. It won't fail, but the humans/machinery that apply it sometimes do.