Why become a member? ×

Pre Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 1979 ( Price Update!!)

Tradfusion

Fewer gigs and a sudden need to claw back some funds has prompted me to test the water with this very nice bass. Serial number B013133 it is a 79 Stingray in Walnut (Rootbeer) finish, with a rosewood fingerboard Sabre neck. I found this link on the ErnieBall website when I was confirming the date etc.

[url="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/mycustompage0011.htm"]Pre Ernie[/url]

Anyone who knows Pre Ernie basses will know that Rootbeer is quite a rare find and for whatever reason they always sound great (must be the beer part!!). Seriously it is a cracking bass with tons of punch and an awesome slap tone. I've owned a few Rays over the years and this one has the most bottom end grunt of any of them but also a beautiful sizzly snappy high end... Condition is very clean considering its age, a couple of small lines on the back which havent pierced the paintwork... the string mutes are fairly worn... other than that shes 100%, great frets and neck, a beaut and plays brill, weight is not bad at 9 3/4 lbs on my scales. I hope the pics reflect the great condition the bass is in. Comes with a fairly worn but functional non original hard case... Price is £1380stg which includes shipping to UK or Europe!!

[attachment=59462:79_Stingray.JPG] [attachment=59463:79_Ray_Front.JPG] [attachment=59464:79_Ray_Body.JPG] [attachment=59465:79_Ray_Back.JPG] [attachment=59466:Headstock.JPG] [attachment=59467:79_Ray_Bridge.JPG]

Edited by Tradfusion

Yeah the Rootbeer is very cool and it does have more bottom end grunt than any other Stingray I've played, the Sabre neck has been on there forever as far as I am aware, but maybe you are right... its a perfect match in any case, you get all that lovely Pre Ernie Stingray tone with a VERY sweet and playable neck... I am keen to sell at the moment as I need the money, however if things improve and I can keep her I will...

It looks great and the necks are Identicle anyway (Other than the logo obviously)as someone who went on a few months ago about the stingray necks being more fragile than the sabre ones found out by the public hanging that followed! :)

Once you try a pre EB and your a Ray fan already you get it dont you? I know people say the same about pre cbs fenders but Im not rich enough to find out yet :lol: but I can defo beleive it will have that extra something!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='969899' date='Sep 27 2010, 07:19 PM']It looks great and the necks are Identicle anyway (Other than the logo obviously)as someone who went on a few months ago about the stingray necks being more fragile than the sabre ones found out by the public hanging that followed! :)[/quote]

I did hear a rumour that when they were bought out they bolted anything together and a few mismatched basses came out, but rumours are rumours. I know my "walnut" has a neck and body date about 3 months apart indicating the stock piling of parts before assembly.

Beautiful bass good luck with the sale

Yep I was told by the guy that runs the musicman.org site that dates on necks/bodys dont need to match and can be written in anything from a pen/pencil to a proper stamp or a bit of crayon whatever came to hand and if that was nothing thats also what they went out with!

All versions come with the secret funk recipe hidden inside though :)

Yep... you are not wrong there... funk comes as standard with a Pre Ernie Ray :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='970007' date='Sep 27 2010, 08:46 PM']Yep I was told by the guy that runs the musicman.org site that dates on necks/bodys dont need to match and can be written in anything from a pen/pencil to a proper stamp or a bit of crayon whatever came to hand and if that was nothing thats also what they went out with!

All versions come with the secret funk recipe hidden inside though :lol:[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...