Why become a member? ×

bought some double end strings need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ziggydolphinboy

Hi Guys and girls and "those that can go either way",
bought some trace elliot double ball end strings to re string my sei 6 headless and the seem like they are a whole first fret too short!!!!!!!!

i have a abm brigde on the sei so i know you have to take the pin out etc .
but do these type of string actually strecth a fret size before they are in tune,
i dont wana waste a set of strings as ill resell them!!!!!!

help please
!x

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='960766' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:05 PM']bought some trace elliot double ball end strings to re string my sei 6 headless and the seem like they are a whole first fret too short!!!!!!!![/quote]
On a standard long scale (34") bass, that's about 2 inches, right? Are you sure you haven't ended up with a set designed for medium scale (32" or thereabouts)? Or is the Sei longer than 34" scale?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='960774' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:33 PM']I remember going to a music fair at wembley in the early 90's. Bought a few sets of Trace headless cheap,
I had a lot of trouble tring to fit them into my washburn.I thought that all headless strings were the same(doh!)
Obviously not[/quote]

hmmm i think the sei may be longer than 34 but they are long scale double ball ends

sorry to be a knob but how do you measure the scale of a bass?

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='960778' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:37 PM']hmmm i think the sei may be longer than 34 but they are long scale double ball ends

sorry to be a knob but how do you measure the scale of a bass?[/quote]
"Long scale" is 34 inches. Dunno why it's called "long", because it's been the standard since the Fender Precision was invented. But if the Sei's longer than 34", long-scale strings won't fit. You'll need "extra-long scale" or something, and I have no idea who makes that sort of length of double-ball strings.

The most accurate way to measure the scale length is to measure from the nut (the fingerboard side of the nut, to be precise) to the 12th fret and double it. If it's 34", for example, it'll be 17" from nut to 12th fret.

And quite honestly that's one of the least knobbish questions I've heard for a long time. :)

I think your Sei is probably a 35" scale, which is commonly known a 'extra long scale'. The 'standard' scale is 34" and know as 'long scale'. The Trace Elliott strings will probably be for a 34" scale instrument and won't stretch to fit 35" scale. Measure the scale length as suggested previously and then search for the right string length. I think you'll find it very difficult to get a 6 string set. You could give Martin at the Bass Gallery a ring to find out if he can recommend strings to fit.

Good luck

[quote name='zero9' post='960826' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:55 PM']I think your Sei is probably a 35" scale, which is commonly known a 'extra long scale'. The 'standard' scale is 34" and know as 'long scale'. The Trace Elliott strings will probably be for a 34" scale instrument and won't stretch to fit 35" scale. Measure the scale length as suggested previously and then search for the right string length. I think you'll find it very difficult to get a 6 string set. You could give Martin at the Bass Gallery a ring to find out if he can recommend strings to fit.

Good luck[/quote]

hi everyone,
measured the scale and its 35 inch!

ill put the bass in to the gallery and get it set up etc,

thank you for youre time once again.
ziggy.