Why become a member? ×

Finally got a DB for Plux

51m0n

Well finally after much scrimping, saving and searching for a recommended local luthier, we pulled the trigger on a gear4music Archer 3/4 size DB for Plux.

Here are the obligatory dodgy photos:-

Bass was set up by local luthier Vincent Purcell, who does Herbie Flowers' bass, top chap, has done a great job, sorted the neck out, the nut slots, and the bridge and checked the soundpost. He put on a set of Dominants too.

Got it home this evening, and damn me but it sounds HUGE!

Lovely soft but defined attack on the front of each note played pizz, but the arco soud is amazing (to my utterly untrained ear). I was happy to sit there in front of it just listening to the arco for ages, just a fantastic tone. So much more everything than any of the basses he has played before....

I'd really like to say a massive thanks to OutToPlayJazz, for pointing me in this direction and giving me loads of advice and encouragement to get this for Plux, he absolutely loves it, thanks mate!

Of course he may be sick of it in a ouple of weeks, well hearing me try and play it anyway (I'm so bad at this its not even funny!)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='959199' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:31 AM']Mind if you become my dad?[/quote]

Yeah sure, go and clean your room, do the washing up, do all your college work, get your own damn bass to college, I'm working, make me a cup of tea, dont argue!!! Get back home when we say you are to, get off the phone to your girlfriend, babysit your brother tonight, sort your own washing out, do more college work, practice your bass, dont do this, do do that...........

Now let me play your big bass, and whats more teach me too!

Still reckon its a good deal :)

[quote name='fatback' post='959191' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:22 AM']Nice!

Mind if I ask the total cost in the end?[/quote]

Archer DB £750 (on a long lasting sale from gear4music, rrp is quoted at £1000)
French bow £50 (it comes with a German bow, typically Plux is used to a French bow)
Shipping £35 (ish)
Dominant strings £150 (ish)
Setup £150

So £1135 give or take....

(cripes!)

[quote name='51m0n' post='959228' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:57 AM']Archer DB £750 (on a long lasting sale from gear4music, rrp is quoted at £1000)
French bow £50 (it comes with a German bow, typically Plux is used to a French bow)
Shipping £35 (ish)
Dominant strings £150 (ish)
Setup £150

So £1135 give or take....

(cripes!)[/quote]

Seems very reasonable. If 'reasonable' is a word you can use in a DB context. Starting to look as if golf could be cheaper. :)

I nearly added, but who ever got laid playing golf. But you can't say that now can you?

Edited by fatback

Actually the cost of double basses seems to be the same as the cost of electric bases, just with the decimal point on every aspect moved one place to the right :)

I mean, who'd pay £150 for a set of Rotosound Swing Bass 66, eh!

Oh well, had another go this evening, it seems I'm not too bad at arco after all, for a complete novice...