Why become a member? ×

Correct fretting for patterns like this

Rich44

Where you have for example:

A --5--
E 5---5

Basically patterns including the root and its fourth(?), how do you fret them. I can think of three ways but I've never been sure the proper way to do it:
1. With a single finger holding both frets down (kind of hurts though)
2. With a single finger moving to each fret (difficult to move quickly enough)
or
3. Two fingers - first finger about a quarter of the way up the first fret, next finger to fret the other (e.g ring finger on first fret, pinky on fret behind)

I've made a stupidly simple thing sound complex I know, but any help is appreciated. Tah :)

[quote]Generally,I'll use one finger to play both notes by moving it
rather than barring,although if it was part of a fast semi quaver thing I may use two fingers[/quote]

I do the opposite. At slow speeds (or fast alternating between adjacent strings) where each note needs to be separate I use two fingers, one for each fret/string.
At moderate speeds, generally where there's a note in between two on same fret/adjacent string, I'll use the same finger and move it.
At high speeds where it's part of a longer phrase, I use 'finger rolling',... which is similar to using your finger as a barre, but involves rolling it in a way so as to only actually fret individual songs (as classical/jazz/rock/metal guitarists would do).