Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT2 Pro

slystewart

I have an AMPEG SVT 2 pro and am not sure if it either needs a service or repair ...when using the amp with the band the red looks like peak light seems to be on and off a lot and now and the a drop on power.
All else seems to be ok i have had the amp for about 18 months and got it second hand dont know the history ...does it need to be sent to ampeg or can any one give me an idea were to send it ...THANKS FOR ANY HELP

SlyStewart,

You've posted this thread at a bad time! You may well find a lot of useless responses follow this but there is a list of amp techs stickied at the top of this forum, Give one of them a call and get them to look it over, it might cost you but I wouldnt tinker around with a valve amp unless you really know what your doing.

Anyway, back to the obvious reply - I dont think you can fix and SVT2, they fix you. :)

Edit - Its stickied in the repairs section, here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=198"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=198[/url]

SlyStewart, I you refering to the red peak light on the front of the amplifier? The light flickering is less likely to be an indication of a fault with the amplifier - only that you are driving the input gain towards distortion. Now - if you actually WANT to have a dirty distorted tone - then you WILL see this led on rather a lot! - However, if you don't - and want a nice clean signal - have a look at the SVT 2 manual as I'm pretty sure it will tell you how to set the gain correctly. It will not hurt if it flickers only occasionally on your hardest playing. If you are finding that the LED is STILL on all the time even with the input gain set low - you'll need to engage the 'pad' button that will reduce the level from your bass in to the input of the preamp. You'll then be able to readjust the gain control so that the LED flickers every now and then for a clean tone. As I mentioned earlier, if you want a dirty tone - bringing the gain control up (along with the drive control) will force the preamp to eventually distort and give you that 'gnarly Ampeg tone'. The LED will come on a lot more.

As for your drop in 'power' - well - that *could* be attributed to the need for a service - but it's not possible to tell without being able to take a look at it. How long have the valves been in it? have you changed them at all and when? Have you noticed any other extraneous noise? Hiss? Lack of 'tone' - i.e sounding wooly? - When do you find te volume drops - and is it instantaneous? or a slow drop?

If nothing else, as my good man Ste has mentioned above, drop the amp in to a tech to have a look at :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='953504' date='Sep 12 2010, 12:49 PM']All lies. SVT 2 is the ULTIMATE TONE.

Any second hand valve amp should probably have a going over by a tech. Stitch in time and all.[/quote]

I really loved my SVT2! I wonder where it is now?

• 4 weeks later...