Why become a member? ×

BB615 vs RBX375

Spacehog

So i sold my EB3 and a guitar and now need a bass suitable for metal and hopefully versatile enough for some classic rock/blues
It needs to be a 5 string for the detuned stuff and i much prefer a wide string spacing.
The two yamaha's mentioned seem to fit the bill but i'm not sure which would suit me better.
I prefer the look of the BB615 and suspect it may be more versatile in the sound department, it also has 3 band eq so i could maybe dial out the mids for a Korn type sound.
The RBX375 looks more 'metal' though and i would guess the humbuckers have a bit more grunt.
I would prefer a lighter bass if possible so not sure which one is heavier.
Obviously i should go to a shop and try them but i thought i'd get some opinions first, plus my 'local'
shop doesn't have the biggest selection.

honestly if i had the money i'd probably buy both and they can both be had for around £270 depending on colour.

Spacehog

As a former BB614 and current RBX775 owner, I can say they are very different basses.

I wouldn't expect to get Fieldy type sounds from the BB - it is a fairly traditional sounding P/J bass. The RBX is much more modern sounding and would suit metal a lot more than the BB. That said - the BB is indeed versatile and can do a more all-round job than the RBX.

If it were me though, i'd go for the BB. The RBX375s don't come in the best of colours (dark red, silver and [url="http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/main/raw/r/rbx375_mastered_pearl_effect/D4B385814A3E4F39A6188B8AF02E9388_12073.jpg"]'jaundice yellow'[/url]) and look a bit cheap close up. A pewter BB615 should look pretty damned awesome in a metal band and will serve you well.

[quote name='Machines' post='952886' date='Sep 11 2010, 04:59 PM']A pewter BB615 should look pretty damned awesome in a metal band and will serve you well.[/quote]

Well i was leaning toward the BB and it just so happens that the pewter one is the cheapest so may well go that route.

I was just wondering if you can get a Fieldy type sound with only the 2 band eq on an RBX?
Obviously it's not essential but useful, to me anyway

cheers Spacehog

Well, and I know this is a longshot, if you feel like you can wait long enough to save up £200, you could always buy my LTD :) I've yet to see a bass look more metal, and still look as nice as that bass.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95446"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95446[/url]

Apart from that, i'd say go with the RB, I've tried a few and they've always seemed pretty good to me, more than I can say for the one BB I tried, although that may very well have been a bum bass :DEither way, good luck with the bass hunting!

Well i just called in to the music shop on the off chance and they actually had both basses there.
The BB probably had the biggest range of sounds but i think it would be better as a passive more vintage style bass, i'll have to try a 414 at some point.
After playing the RBX i preferred the feel of the neck and the upper fret access, also the sound suited me better so that's what i bought.
Got it for £275 including a gig bag so i'm quite happy with that.
:lol: :) :rolleyes: