Why become a member? ×

Keys

stewblack

Teaching a guy the basics - I'm not qualified but he wanted me too, if this offends anyone look away! - and he wants a bit of theory. Well I'm staying one step ahead of him (my piano lessons were a million years ago) by reading up and asking in places like this. The great thing is I'm starting to read music and really getting a taste for it.
We were trying to figure the difference between the key of G flat and the key of F sharp. Any ideas that I can share?

Playing-wise, there's no difference at all. This is a case of what's called "Enharmonic Equivalents". Ie., two notes (or in this case, keys!) that are written differently, but sound the same.

The key of Gb Major has six flats & F# Major has six sharps. So they look very different on paper, but playing-wise they're identical.

So if you were thinking you could get away with learning just one scale for the two keys, you were absolutely right!!!