Why become a member? ×

Who does rock J bass pickups?

7string

I hope some of you can help me with this.

I've got plans for a 5 string J-bass, but choosing pickups is the worst bit! I'm a rock player, so I need some big sounding J pickups. Just want to turn everything up and plug in.

I've heard good things about Delano and Wizards, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

I have Lindy Fralins (+ an OPB-3) in my Jazz 4 that I use for rock and.. they.. kick.. serious.. ass !!

I have Bill Lawrence J45s in my 5 string Jazz and they are phenomenal. I'd find it hard to compartmentalise them as just rock pups... but the first time my band heard them they $hat. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='7string' post='947771' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:57 PM']I hope some of you can help me with this.

I've got plans for a 5 string J-bass, but choosing pickups is the worst bit! I'm a rock player, so I need some big sounding J pickups. Just want to turn everything up and plug in.

I've heard good things about Delano and Wizards, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)[/quote]

I've got Delanos in my Jazz and they are fantastic. Big, thick, growly jazz tone.

Thanks for the replies :)

The thing I [b][i][u]really[/u][/i][/b] want to avoid is that thin, nasty bridge sound. I need a big round tone!!

[b]Ou7shined[/b] - I've had a quick look on the net for Bill Lawrence bass pickups and drawn a zero. The Fralins always have a great rep. Thanks for the suggestions. The OPB-3 mentioned just opens up another can of worms. Which preamp (if any) to use). Oh dear.....

[b]Simon1964[/b] and [b]daniel collin[/b] - Can you guys give me the specific models you have!

Thanks again. This is all a great help :rolleyes:

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='948371' date='Sep 7 2010, 03:14 PM'][b]Simon1964[/b] and [b]daniel collin[/b] - Can you guys give me the specific models you have!

Thanks again. This is all a great help :)[/quote]

They're the model JMVC 4 FE/M2. I've also got one of those in the neck position on my Shuker (with a Delano MM hybrid at the bridge). They sound great, and look rather cool as well!

I use the rather excellent wizard 'gaffer' which is a humbucker in a jazz sized casing, sounds immense for rock and solo'd at the neck can sound like a huge p bass sound, kinda like green say American idiot sorta tone and solo'd in the bridge adds a nice ray-ish snap. Stick two of em in a bass and BOOM. Sweet :0)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='948428' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:05 PM']I use the rather excellent wizard 'gaffer' which is a humbucker in a jazz sized casing, sounds immense for rock and solo'd at the neck can sound like a huge p bass sound, kinda like green say American idiot sorta tone and solo'd in the bridge adds a nice ray-ish snap. Stick two of em in a bass and BOOM. Sweet :0)[/quote]

I think these are a similar design to the Delanos. The Delano website describes tehm as split coil humbuckers, and from your description, give a very similar sound.

[quote name='7string' post='948371' date='Sep 7 2010, 03:14 PM'][b]Ou7shined[/b] - I've had a quick look on the net for Bill Lawrence bass pickups and drawn a zero. The Fralins always have a great rep. Thanks for the suggestions. The OPB-3 mentioned just opens up another can of worms. Which preamp (if any) to use). Oh dear.....[/quote]

Yeah they are quite rare. I think you may have to directly to Bill himself to get them made nowadays. I think he goes under the name of Wilde Cat* Pickups or something (I'll have a wee hunt about). Very worth it though.

*Little known fact-ette - something to look out for with supposed Bill Lawrence pups is that at some point a business partner bought him out and started using Bill's name on sub standard (well to Bill's standard anyway) pups. So only the ones signed on the back are really his (mine have signatures plus he put on wee USA flag stickers) the rest are factory knock offs.

I suppose I should mention that I have my BL pups going through a Schack pre-amp. They are even harder to find than genuine BL pups so perhaps my recommendation is a bit... er... niche. :)

The Fralin/OPB-3 combo is vastly more attainable.

Also I have never tried Delano J's but I do have a bass with a Delano P in it which I am very impressed with.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='948428' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:05 PM']I use the rather excellent wizard 'gaffer' which is a humbucker in a jazz sized casing, sounds immense for rock and solo'd at the neck can sound like a huge p bass sound, kinda like green say American idiot sorta tone and solo'd in the bridge adds a nice ray-ish snap. Stick two of em in a bass and BOOM. Sweet :0)[/quote]

I can't see these on the Wizard website, have they been discontinued do you know?

[sub]Edited to add:[/sub]
I know, I'll email Andy.

Edited by HeavyJay