Why become a member? ×

Replacement pick ups for Steinberger xz-2

TheGreek

[size=2]Need some advice on replacement p/ups for a Steinberger xz-2 headless bass which I recently swapped for a 5 string Warwick Corvette. There are a number of benefits for the Steinberger but one of them is [b]NOT[/b] the EMG p/ups which are [b]decidedly [u]rubbish[/u][/b].

Any suggestions for easy replacements - preferably an active set up?[/size]

[quote name='TheGreek' post='946387' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:22 PM'][size=2]Need some advice on replacement p/ups for a Steinberger xz-2 headless bass which I recently swapped for a 5 string Warwick Corvette. There are a number of benefits for the Steinberger but one of them is [b]NOT[/b] the EMG p/ups which are [b]decidedly [u]rubbish[/u][/b].

Any suggestions for easy replacements - preferably an active set up?[/size][/quote]

IIRC the EMG pups in there are passive select models or similar. I'd certainly recommend upgrading to an active EMG system - certainly from the point of view that the pickup cases will be the same size and you won't have to cut any ugly holes in your bass!

I've been using EMG pickups and preamps for ..well.. myst be more than ten years and I really rate them.

Your other options may well be having to rout out the cut outs for the pups - which will then open you up to pretty much anything out there! Nordstrand, Aero, Delano (v.nice!!), Bartolini, Kent Armstrong, Seymour Duncan...

as for preamps - you have more options there too - be it an Aguilar OPB-3 - or custom circuits from the likes of Jon Shuker and preamp guru John East who makes some seriously customisable onboard preamps.