Why become a member? ×

Lakland Darryl Jones 5 $1329/£670, (New)

OldGit

Spotted this good deal on The Perfect Bass

Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5 RW WP
Player Price: $1,329.00 (Includes FREE GROUND SHIPPING in the US!)

Thats £670

However
"UPS has reported a shipping cost of $340.76 for the shipment of the Lakland bass to you in the UK."

So how come other people ship for $80 USD inc insurance?

Hummmm

If you are still tempted it's here

[url="http://www.theperfectbass.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=124&SN=100&CT=101&PG=101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=N&modify=0"]Perfect Bass Lakland DJ5 [/url]

Edited by OldGit

Frustrating, isn't it?

Ask them to send it via US postal service (USPS) rather than a courier. Should only cost about $80 for a bass in a box or $110 for a bass in a case (rough prices). This comes via Parcelforce who *will* make you pay the taxes on both the bass and the shipping and they'll stick a £10 handling charge on top.

Allow 20% on top of what you paid (inc shipping) to cover all this.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='107479' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:41 AM']Frustrating, isn't it?

Ask them to send it via US postal service (USPS) rather than a courier. Should only cost about $80 for a bass in a box or $110 for a bass in a case (rough prices). This comes via Parcelforce who *will* make you pay the taxes on both the bass and the shipping and they'll stick a £10 handling charge on top.

Allow 20% on top of what you paid (inc shipping) to cover all this.[/quote]

Yeah I've had a brace of basses shipped via USPS in the last 6 months for 80 dollars each
I've gone off the idea now anyway. I'm so fickle..
:)

I think USPS have changed the T&Cs for shipping to the UK recently when it comes to the size of package you can send and as a result, a bass comes in at an inch or two too big. I was talking with Bass Central about a bass a few months back and that's what they told me and it did check out at the time. There literally is only an inch or so in it, so I dare say it is getawayable with if the sender is unaware or aware but willing to try.

Yeah, just checked it out and the max length for a USPS Global Express delivery is 46" and my DJ5 is about 45" long so could possibly be done with some creative packing.

USPS info here [url="http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/fh_014.htm#ep3576772"]http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/fh_014.htm#ep3576772[/url]

We've exchanged emails and he says the US Postal are a pain in the bottom to deal with and, he feels, are not a safe courier. Given my own experiences with the UK Post Office (and having seen Men in Black II) I suspect he is right.
However he does ship free to the US and so suggested he could do that to a friend in the US and then he could ship it anyway we chose :)

I'll not be pursuing this for now but it's an interesting store and I'll stay on their GAS inducing mailing list :huh:

• 2 years later...