Why become a member? ×

Just read this bit in the wiki

bluesparky

I think it's a section that hasn't been finished!! - I think what it was meant to be refering to was mixing cabinets with different sized speakers in (running full range). I'll let Bill Fitzmaurice and Alex Claber's posts do the talking - there are definitely posts that suggest that it isn't a good idea and I don't want to dilute them by not relaying the facts properly!

ok: Here's what I found:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15261&hl=mixing+speakers"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mixing+speakers[/url]

Discussing using a cab with a 12" driver and a cab with a 15" driver in:

[quote]What's more to the point is whether their responses will complement or detract from each other. The majority of the time the latter is the case. One of the first things you learn in How to Design Loudspeakers 101 is never to mix different drivers or cabs covering the same bandwidth. Yes, I know, that's how it's always been done with bass cabs, but that doesn't make it any less wrong. My advise: don't do that.

This post has been edited by Bill Fitzmaurice: Mar 13 2008, 09:59 PM[/quote]

A user asks why?

[quote]Because the responses of the two cabs are different, and the result is akin to adding oil and water. If you want to use a fifteen to get maximum low end that's fine, and if you want to run a smaller driver to get better mids and high that's fine too. But the smaller driver shouldn't be a twelve or ten, it should be an eight or a six, and a crossover should be employed so that only the lows go to the 15, and only the mids and highs to the smaller driver. That's how it's been done in high-fidelity, theatrical and PA applications since circa 1927. Perhaps the electric bass cab industry will wake up and smell the coffee by 2027. Perhaps not.[/quote]

[quote name='bluesparky' post='945830' date='Sep 5 2010, 03:55 AM'][url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:building_a_rig"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:building_a_rig[/url]

"mixing cabs!
Don't"

What does that mean?

Using different manufacturer's cabs in the same rig?[/quote]

I'm guessing you're as drunk as I am and looking to start another 'Valve amps etc etc etc ' type thread.

I'll meet you on the other side - OK the drunk thread - I'm in the process of resurrecting it as we speak

[quote name='Delberthot' post='945847' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:22 AM']I'm guessing you're as drunk as I am and looking to start another 'Valve amps etc etc etc ' type thread.

I'll meet you on the other side - OK the drunk thread - I'm in the process of resurrecting it as we speak[/quote]
Ha ha!
Nail - on - head!
:) :rolleyes: :lol: :o :o

My query isn't about cabs but it is something to do with being on the wiki:

in the strings section, it lists Roto Jazz 77 flats as having a very high tension and doesn't mention the tension (!!) of the La Bella JJ (Original 54) flats. My recent experience (I went straight from the 77's to the JJ's) show the reverse to be true. The Rotos were fine, the JJ's are stupidly high tension.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='270degrees' post='948205' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:47 PM']My query isn't about cabs but it is something to do with being on the wiki:

in the strings section, it lists Roto Jazz 77 flats as having a very high tension and doesn't mention the tension (!!) of the La Bella JJ (Original 54) flats. My recent experience (I went straight from the 77's to the JJ's) show the reverse to be true. The Rotos were fine, the JJ's are stupidly high tension.

Am I missing something?[/quote]

Maybe it's time for people to get more involved with the wiki and have some updates! -I'm not familiar with any kind of flatwounds so unfortunately can't comment.