Why become a member? ×

J Davey guitars

jimbaby

• 1 year later...

Jamie is the guy who has always done my guitar tech work. He had a shop in Shifnal Shropshire but now works from his home. He probably makes more of his custom guitars than basses. The guitarist in my band playes one of his 'Telecasters' and it is superb. Even as a non guitar playing bassist I still know a decent guitar when I see one!
I have played one of his basses which was a Jazz copy. It was fine, sounded and felt like a good Jazz should (Precision guy myself)! ;)
And yes he has made guitars for the Quo! He showed me one that he'd made recently and it was very nice. I have seen pictures of the Quo gigging with his guitars.
Nice bloke and good bassist too!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1326746641' post='1501535']
I've been watching a Telecaster he built on eBay, just went for £175ish, looked lovely. According to his website his guitars start at £650. Think he uses off the shelf bodies/necks etc and just finishes and assembles them. Made a few for Status Quo apparently!
[/quote]

Off the shelf? What about the necks? Are they just standard blanks or fender ones he refines or other?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270889677417?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]Here's[/url] the Tele I was watching - apparently a Fender body that Mr Davey had fixed up with a custom neck. Looks great. From flicking through his website it looks like his lower priced stuff is built with standard parts, but he'll do full custom builds with woods of your choice etc if you've got the dollar to spend.

Might be worth dropping the man himself a line, he'll probably be able to tell you what he made it out of!

• 2 years later...