Why become a member? ×

Preamp and Power Amp VS Bass Head VS Everthing Else

michael-faces

I'm looking to get everyones opinions on something I'm totally ignorant about.

Which do you think is better, a preamp going into a power amp then going into the cab, or just a bass head going into a cab? I'm sure there are also other ways of doing things like a preamp into a bass head, but please let me know what experiences have been with all these setups. I do know that just having a bass head is the norm, but is there a particular reason for that apart from being easy?

Thanks!

Edited by michael-faces

Easier and cheaper.

If money and weight didn't come into it, I'd get a decent valve pre...like SWR or Aguilar DB659, maybe Glock, and run with a 2x400 power amp which I could bridge to 4 ohms.

My amp weighs 20lbs, does 400 in 4 and sits 2 units high. With a power amp and pre, you would be getting close to 35-40lbs in a rack with a tuner, possibly.

And a decent pre would set you back £600 plus IMO, can't think you would get decent one for much less..

I guess it's also down to personal taste as well. Being able to mix and match preamps with different power amps - and cost too. maybe you want to buy a really expensive preamp (read as 'top notch') but cant afford a big power amp to go with it. I've bought gear this way previously. Then when I had the cash upgraded to a nice power amp later.
There are those who like a really complicated signal chain too - and want to run different preamps with outboard effects. Having seperates can make it easier to get the tones you want. For example running an old Pearce BC-1 along side a Trace V-type preamp and mixing the two in to one power amplifier.

So, in short - it's what you want from a bass rig that will help you decide. If you prefer 'plug and play' then maybe a head will be just fine.

[quote]I guess it's also down to personal taste as well. Being able to mix and match preamps with different power amps - and cost too. maybe you want to buy a really expensive preamp (read as 'top notch') but cant afford a big power amp to go with it. I've bought gear this way previously. Then when I had the cash upgraded to a nice power amp later.
There are those who like a really complicated signal chain too - and want to run different preamps with outboard effects. Having seperates can make it easier to get the tones you want. For example running an old Pearce BC-1 along side a Trace V-type preamp and mixing the two in to one power amplifier.

So, in short - it's what you want from a bass rig that will help you decide. If you prefer 'plug and play' then maybe a head will be just fine.[/quote]

Thanks for the help! Also, did you know I have a Pearce BC1 (or would do by now, if parcelforce hadn't messed up - should have it by monday)? If not, thats a weird coincidence. When I do get that Pearce, I'll be running a Pearce bc1 and a pearce g2r into a power amp. I think I like the more complicated chain more as it will suit my tone better and give me more freedom, but I just really wanted to see what works best for everyone else.

[quote]My amp weighs 20lbs, does 400 in 4 and sits 2 units high. With a power amp and pre, you would be getting close to 35-40lbs in a rack with a tuner, possibly.[/quote]

And I'll be using two preamps! Won't be getting many rack effects any time soon... would look nice though, all them lights...

WOH!!!! ha ha - No, I had no idea! I'd just seen a BC-1 for sale on TalkBass - quite a treat as they are rare, nice preamps with a great crunch tone. You have a G2r already as well? Wow! I believe the phrase 'sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet' will suffice in this case! I had a massive pang to get an ADA MP-1 for ages to use with my bass rig - but I managed to quell that particular bought of GAS.

I too like the freedom of slightly unorthodox signal paths! But they work for me, depending on what I am doing. However, I am enjoying just plugging in to the front of a head these days. Me being a geek though, I just know I'll be back to dual paths before I know it! ha!

As for effects - yes... I quite like having a [quote]f*ckin christmas tree[/quote]* behind me! You just can't say no to flashing lights! ha ha!!

I look forward to hearing more about your rig!

[quote name='michael-faces' post='945883' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:32 AM']Ha! lol, thats the coolest thing ever. Another strange thing, I'm fighting not getting an ADA MP-1 at the moment! Only thing is, there are hardly any for sale for decent prices in the UK. One going for £450 on gumtree![/quote]

Heh heh!!!! Ahhhh that's cool indeed! - I missed out on an MP-1 a few months ago when I saw it for sale on a northern forum for... wait for it... £110!!!!!!! Fully working!

If you get a US eBay one - there's a guy who may still be able to get a UK transformer for them - but it'd be worth checking on the ADA forum (unofficial) before hitting the BUY key. They do sounds flippin great though - There's a guy on YouTube who has done a bunch of comparison videos with some really top amps - and I have to say that the ADA, when tamed, just sounds awesome on guitar. I think only the Mesa Triaxis comes close in tone as a MIDI preamp.

All this talk, I want to get one again! - DEFINITELY can't do that for now - I'll have to make do with fettling with the line 6 X3!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='946345' date='Sep 5 2010, 04:43 PM']I've been considering this for a while. Now I've discovered how great my Sansamp DI sounds I'm tempted to get a reasonable 3-500w power amp and using it for gigs where there will be a cab. Purchasing my own cab is further down the line.

Is this possible? Any recommendations as to power amp makes if so?[/quote]

Yes, the MK2 Sansamps have a line/instrument switch designed for drving a power amp so you'll be fine. There's a multitude of suitable PA power amplifiers available. I think your first port of call will be to trawl the For Sale forum to see what you can find. I recently sold a Peavey 2600 for under 200 quid. Now that's a righteous power amplifier if I ever used one! 1800W RMS in bridge mode :) - obvioulsy you may not need that sort f power - but any are good, but the usual suggstions about buying the best you can applies, as with anything! Stick to the names you know!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='946469' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:15 PM']Thanks, I'm using the programmable DI so I assume the XLR out is designed for running into a PA while the 1/4 output can drive a regular amp front end.

I'm not very in the know about power amps but I assume Matamp, Peavey and Mackie would be good choices.[/quote]

You could actually use either output in to the power amp - but yes, if you are sending to a power amp - use the normal 1/4" out set to 'line'.

Yes, any of those power amps are good - also Yamaha, QSC, Crown - there's quite a few. If you see one you like the look of, then ask here - or PM me if you need any help :) - We'll need to know what cabinets you are likely to run it in to as well - as that could help the decision due to configuration options.