Why become a member? ×

Need a little guidance

goblin

I've spent the last couple of years running an Acoustic 470 head that we picked up on ebay. To be honest it sounds awesome and it's built like a tank, but I don't know much about them despite looking all over the internet.

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone knows any history behind it, and if I was to sell it (which I'm considering given I want to upgrade my whole rig to a nice trace, eden or ebs or similar), how much should I ask for it in good condition with everything still working?

There is a great Acoustic resource here:

[url="http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/GuitarHeadOrBassHead470"]Acoustic[/url]

The 470 was produced from 1973 til 1977 and I think was replaced by the 220.

It produced 175w irrespective of speaker impedance.

Those of you who think 175w is not a great deal, 175w of Acoustic power into one of their cabs is probably equivalent to about 500 modern watts!

One question though, why the hell would you want to sell it? If its in good nick and works, keep it!

We all know Acoustic are the worlds best bass amps, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='945240' date='Sep 4 2010, 10:24 AM']Those of you who think 175w is not a great deal, 175w of Acoustic power into one of their cabs is probably equivalent to about 500 modern watts![/quote]

Er thats not quite true.

One of the reasons acoustic amps appear loud is that the volume control knob is not evenly graduated, so that the full power of the amp can be delivered at quite a low volume setting. If I run my 220 with the bass boosted I cant set the volume knob with the padded input at 1.5 and its deafening. However, you dont really get anymore by turning it to no 5.

The speaker cabinets were also quite efficient for the day, and you can certainly gig with a 406 and a 220 [rated at 120w] and piss of the rest of the band with its volume as I often do.

[quote name='goblin' post='945134' date='Sep 4 2010, 02:15 AM']I've spent the last couple of years running an Acoustic 470 head that we picked up on ebay. To be honest it sounds awesome and it's built like a tank, but I don't know much about them despite looking all over the internet.

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone knows any history behind it, and if I was to sell it (which I'm considering given I want to upgrade my whole rig to a nice trace, eden or ebs or similar), how much should I ask for it in good condition with everything still working?[/quote]

I used to have a 450 which is the same amp but a single channel and I adored it. Used with a 406 2x15 i could rattle the glasses off the pub shelf. They were very expensive, my rig cost me about £700 in 1977 which was about twice the price of a musicman stingray at the time IIRC. I never regretted spending the money.

for £50 you cant go wrong, they can still be repaired if they go wrong unless a graphic goes, where the parts are rare/impossible to find.

Im not sure they will become investment potential, although the 370 head is sought after.

[quote name='bumnote' post='945336' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:25 PM']Er thats not quite true.

One of the reasons acoustic amps appear loud is that the volume control knob is not evenly graduated, so that the full power of the amp can be delivered at quite a low volume setting. If I run my 220 with the bass boosted I cant set the volume knob with the padded input at 1.5 and its deafening. However, you dont really get anymore by turning it to no 5.

The speaker cabinets were also quite efficient for the day, and you can certainly gig with a 406 and a 220 [rated at 120w] and piss of the rest of the band with its volume as I often do.[/quote]

When I said equivalent, I meant in decibel terms, which I know has nothing much to do with watts....