Why become a member? ×

Fat or thin necks, StingRay sitting idle, Aria SB bought!

iconic

With regret the lovely '86 StingRay 4H I have been lent hasn't been played for well over 5 days now, we had a brief, very passionate love affair but it's ended now...

It's not all bad though, it did get me into older guitars, a month ago I wouldn't of touched one, always buying new....now I can see why they have an attraction, sort of like the classic cars that I always have as keepers.

....love the Ray tone and action but it makes my wrist ache, I just can't get on with the neck and found this out when playing some faster bitz, Duran Duran mainly, lots of octaves n quick stuff.

Everything else I have have played at length with, has had a sporty neck, my Yamaha's and VMJ...so I'm back fiddling with my BB414 again.....[size=1]and that quiet G string too wasn't too clever...ducks for cover[/size]

The guy who has my VMJ on loan has had the same problem but other way around, loves the VMJ tone but can't get on with the racy neck, mentioned missing notes....but he has been playing for some 30 years with a fat necked Fender P bass too.

So it almost seems that whatever I started with dictates what I will like later on? I'm fortunate I got to borrow a Ray for a decent time & didn't buy a StingRay or Ray34.... my card was out ready willing and dripping, just goes to show you really do need a good few hours playing to see if you will like something...could be why many bass's are sold on :rolleyes: it isn't GAS afterall, and impulse buys should be avoided.

[i]So completely forgetting what I have learnt this week.... I have just bought an Aria SB-R60 Paduak Red blind for too much money.....hopefully a racing snake for a neck....well slightly wider being an R? If nothing else it will make a lovely bit of funiture to hang on the wall.:) [/i][b][/b]

Edited by iconic

ive spent most of the last 5 years playing a washburn force 4 which has a chop stick for a neck, now i've had my ATK for a month and ive almost exclusively played that. It has a pretty chunky MM style neck and i get on with it great. everytime i play the washburn i'm impressed by how skinny the neck is... but i wouldnt be able to choose between the two neck wise, the only reason i play the atk more is a combination of better pickup and strings (ordered a set of flats for the washburn). So either i just get allong with most types of necks or i just havnt spent enough time with my basses to develop an opinion / preference.

Just to put a cat amongst the pigeons now you are having love for older stuff and a small ammount of Ray love hidden away if you try a pre EB you will find the neck much slimmer with a slightly narrower nut width in fact some people dont like them and find the neck too thin but that might be just the ticket for you? Also if you are playing funky octaves alot then there is nothing better then a pre EB for funking end of! :)

There are the SLO special necks for stingrays, basically the sterling neck on a ray body, it's apparently a Jazz profile neck.
Or you could get a used sterling but then it's still not a ray.

I understand why some people may have difficulty going from fat an thin necks, for me the difference is I'm a bit speedy on slim and more accurate on fatter necks, but I don't have to much difficulty adjusting to each one.